Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

[FIXED] 1983 280ZX Starts but dies in 2-3 Seconds

More
7 years 1 month ago - 6 years 11 months ago #8729 by Kevin_280ZX
Hi all -- looking for some trouble shooting help here. Back about 10 years ago I was trying to jump start the car and crossed the jumper cables and fried the ECU. Life got in the way and the car sat until now. I have the car to the point that I've changed the Injectors (new) and have gone through the fuel system to make sure all the gunk was cleaned out and filter changed. I sent the ECU out to be fixed and they sent out a remanufactured one. Now the car starts but dies within 2-3 seconds. I've done all the Factory Service Manual checks in the book and everything led me back to a bad ECU so I sent it back for warranty and the company sent me back another replacement, unfortunately without telling me if the one I sent them was good or bad. I just put the unit in the vehicle but its doing the same as before (starts then dies). I put a noid light on the injectors and the light comes on (dimly) when I'm starting the car but I have to say I really can't see the light flashing/pulsing until the car starts dying-out and then I can see the light pulsing as the RPM's drop. I don't know if this is correct or not?? I don't think the injectors are firing because I took out a couple plugs and cranked the engine but I couldn't smell any gas fumes. Not sure where to go from here as all the Factory Service Manual tests are showing good. I think the reason the car starts at all is this vehicle has a Cold Start Valve that adds extra gas when the engine is starting and when you release the key this circuit turns off so the car is essentially running on the fuel the Cold Start Valve provides not the injectors.
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Tyler.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #8730 by Nikonnigel
A few things that spring to mind are:
1 does the car car have any sort of immobiliser? is the key chipped type? if the ecu is not coded to that then it may be intentionally shutting down the injectors
2 if jumpers leads were crossed there may other damaged components or even blown fuses.
3 try hot wiring the cold start valve to see if the engine stays running

Hope that helps Regards Nigel

This is the place to write something profound or funny, Well............................

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #8731 by Kevin_280ZX
Thanks Nigel -- the car is too old to have a chip in the key. I've checked all the harnesses, fusible links and fuses so think I'm good there. I guess since the car will start and idle for 2-3 seconds I'm down to an injector issue of some sort and since I've tried two ECU's now and still have the same problem I need to figure out why the injectors are not firing.
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Kevin_280ZX.

More
7 years 1 month ago #8755 by Dylan
Moving this topic guys ;)

More
7 years 1 month ago #8773 by fudgie
Looked around for any rodent damage? Any other fuses possibly blown?

More
7 years 1 month ago #8789 by ScannerDanner
What is your fuel pressure?

Don't be a parts changer!

More
7 years 1 month ago #8796 by Andy.MacFadyen
On some cars of this era the fuel pump supply and sometimes ignition was wired through a relay driven from the oil pressure switch.
When cranking the relay was bypassed by the ignition switch and the pump energised/
When the engine fired and the the key was released and engine running the oil pressure at the oil pressure switch should be sufficient to operate it and energise the relay and hold the pump on.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
7 years 1 month ago #8799 by Kevin_280ZX
Thanks Fudgie -- I've been over the car pretty good and don't see any rodent damage and I checked all the fuses

More
7 years 1 month ago #8800 by Kevin_280ZX
Thanks Karma -- My fuel pressure is 32psi

More
7 years 1 month ago #8801 by Kevin_280ZX
Thanks Karma - I checked the wiring diagram for the car and don't see a tie-in to the oil pressure switch.

More
7 years 1 month ago #8963 by ceasarmobile
...distributor if i dont remember wrong is responsible for fuel injection could ve been damaged

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #8978 by Kevin_280ZX
Thanks -- I know that the ECU controls the injectors by providing a ground to the circuit and it does this by counting the RPM's of the engine through a signal from the coil. There might be a problem in the distributor but I'm not sure how to check that??
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Kevin_280ZX.

More
7 years 4 weeks ago - 7 years 4 weeks ago #8990 by Andy.MacFadyen
Have you checked the positive side of the coil and injectors are getting battery voltage when the key is released from the start position? ie KOEO (Key On Engine Off).

As to fuel pressue I would expect more pressure, whats the Nissan spec ? 3bar???????

Last edit: 7 years 4 weeks ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #9003 by Kevin_280ZX
Thanks Andy -- With the key in the "on" position I have 12v at the injector connectors. The Factory Service Manual says 30 PSI for fuel pressure at idle. For some reason the ECU is not applying the ground signal/connection for the circuit to be completed. I put a jumper on each of the injector pins at the ECU 35 pin connector (one at a time) and if I tap it to ground the injector fires. Given that I've put in two ECU's (both remanufactured units from Fuel Injection Corp) I have to think the ECU is good. The ECU is supposed to get a signal from the coil basically telling it that the engine is running and what RPM the engine is operating and I have continuity on the signal wire coming from the coil to the ECU.

More
7 years 4 weeks ago - 7 years 4 weeks ago #9004 by Andy.MacFadyen
Is it fitted with an old style flap air flow sensor ? the flap can stick and cause problems.

Last edit: 7 years 4 weeks ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #9009 by Kevin_280ZX
Thanks Andy -- yes it does. I took a look at that and the flapper operates smoothly and passes the electrical tests in the FSM

More
6 years 11 months ago #10370 by Kevin_280ZX
[Fixed] All my trouble shooting kept coming back as the ECU was bad so I sent the ECU back for warranty (2nd time). They gave me a bit of static about taking it back again since the issue I had wasn't changing at all. I've been waiting for 4 weeks now for it to be repaired/replaced when I noticed a used ECU pop up on eBay so I took a flyer and bought it. I put this unit in last weekend and the car started right up! Can't tell you how infuriating it is to get bad parts, not once but twice and paying extra for what was supposed to be repaired and tested parts!! It really makes you question your trouble shooting and wasted a lot of time checking and rechecking things.
Thanks to all who sent in suggestions and to ScannerDanner for your videos on YouTube. I looked at the EFI trouble shooting vids several times and they were very helpful.

More
6 years 11 months ago #10403 by Tyler
Slapped a [FIXED] on this one. B)

Kevin_280ZX wrote: Can't tell you how infuriating it is to get bad parts, not once but twice and paying extra for what was supposed to be repaired and tested parts!! It really makes you question your trouble shooting and wasted a lot of time checking and rechecking things.

Been there, done that. :angry:

Time to create page: 0.282 seconds