Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2008 Chevy Duramax LMM Overheating (mysterious blockage?)

More
1 year 9 months ago #56834 by Eli

2008 Chevy Silverado Duramax LMM. Overheats after about 1 mile of driving. Had a new water pump before it came to my shop. I did a dye test and am not detecting a combustion leak. So I put new thermostats in it. Condition still present.
Is there a better way to test for head gasket failure on these engines? I want to be 100% sure before selling the customer a 30hour head gasket job.
Is there some other element I'm Missing?
It almost seems stupid to ask about an overheating problem, but I know a lot of you have been in the field longer than I've been alive! Your advice is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago #56846 by juergen.scholl
A pressure pulse sensor placed over the open radiator or coolant reservoir while the engine is running would show pressure escaping from a cylinder into the cooling system.. Another option is to pressure test the cooling system, if necessary over night and then watching out for a hard start/vapor.

Driving just one mile is really quick for an engine to already overheat severely.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds