Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

BMW F20 N13 Timing correlation waveform question- chasin stretch?

More
1 year 10 months ago #56734 by philreed52
Hi guys, first post as only joined premium a few weeks ago. Not sure why I didnt join sooner!Ive got a bmw 1 series N13 engine that throws a check engine light very intermittently. sometimes only once a week. I have taken a correlation waveform and im concerned i may have a timing chain issue just wondered if anyone would be able to give me some pointers. Fairly new to scoping but slowly getting my head around it.I think the cams may be out of time to the crank but i cant find any info on their position in degrees (im registered for bmw tech info)Ive uploaded it to the pico library but its not showing for some reason, ive attached it belowregardsphil
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 10 months ago - 1 year 10 months ago #56735 by juergen.scholl
Hello Phil,

what would be the code related to the check engine light you mentioned?

The link takes you to a known good capture of an N13 engine on the Rotkee side.
rotkee.com/en/waveform-library?brand=156&engine=2017

Good job on using the trigger function!

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
Last edit: 1 year 10 months ago by juergen.scholl.

More
1 year 10 months ago #56736 by philreed52
Thank you for your reply, first time using that kind of trigger but made it so much easier! The code was 130304 vanos exhaust, control fault camshaft stuck. Data shows it at 63’ against an expected 12’

More
1 year 10 months ago - 1 year 10 months ago #56737 by juergen.scholl
You may want to activate the vanos system with a scan tool through the bidirectional control and see if anything changes at all. If not check for mechanical and electrical details. The difference between desired and actual value is that huge so my first thought would not be chain stretch. The word "stuck" may be key.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
Last edit: 1 year 10 months ago by juergen.scholl.

More
1 year 10 months ago #56738 by philreed52
My initial thoughts were carbon build up periodically jamming the vanos from “resetting” when engine off as the fault only occurs when first starting. I do get a rough idle and the chain is a little noisy so would like to confirm this is ok with the scope- for practice if anything else

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds