A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

What if house repairs were like car repairs...

More
2 years 7 months ago #51669 by JeffBirt
For most people a car is the second most expensive thing they own next to their house. This got me wondering what if home repair was like modern car repair.

Imagine if houses were like new cars. Your toaster quits and you buy a new toaster but it won't work without being programmed with your address to work with your house. Of course said programming can only be done by the original builder of the house and requires a fee to be paid to the architect to access their server to reprogram the toaster.

Your dryer breaks but you can't fix the dryer as it is part of the 'laundry module' and you have to replace the whole washer/dryer set and have the new 'laundry module' programmed with your address to work at your house. 

There is a random problem which crashes the house network and you go into a 'limp home' mode where your lights are at 50% brightness, the TV won't work until and you can't lock the doors until you use a $5,000 diagnostic tool to clear all the house diagnostic codes.

You want to make a new house key for your kid but that requires a house locksmith ID, a special $5,000 programming tool and paying to log onto the architects network to program it. By the time your done that $5 key is now $250.

Why do we put up with this? It does not need to be this complicated. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 7 months ago #51670 by AJeep18
In my estimation, two things: emissions, and the fact that OE's have millions of hours and dollars into developing these systems and don't want just anyone to access or modify them. Do I want my car to know where I am and send that information to the manufacture... no, but if that is the way it is, I certainly don't want that information to be easily accessible! But yeah I think it is ridiculous too and your post and my laughing out loud. 

More
2 years 7 months ago #51671 by JeffBirt
The furnace in my house is also regulated by emissions laws yet I can fix it without needing a $5,000 diagnostic tool and don't need to reprogram the furnace to talk to a new thermostat.

If the BCM knows it should have four door control modules and what ID each will be on the network why would you need to reprogram it to accept a replacement module? The door control module does not give a wit about the VIN number.

More
2 years 7 months ago #51672 by AJeep18
Right, but no one I know is "turning up" their furnace for more power and creating more emission  . And I feel like while things are not currently that complicated... in the future who knows. I mean modern lawnmower now have a computer controlling them with the ability to set codes, and even chainsaws have computers that are programmed for different altitudes and temperatures.... how long before you have to get a reflash from Exmark to get your mower going again? But as to why, I guess that is all just theories 

More
2 years 6 months ago #51682 by Tyler
What if you forced homeowners to perform specialized programming on their replacement thermostat? I think you'd have a lot more pissed off homeowners. :silly:

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #51683 by Noah
Right? I miss the days I could just bolt a Holly 650 on my toilet and flush for pink slips.
Now a days they sip a measly 3L per flush...
Don't even get me started on my wimpy 240°f governed "hot" water heater....

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Noah.

More
2 years 6 months ago #51709 by JeffBirt
Exactly. There is no need for the complexity that is currently involved. There is no need to program a 'smart fuse box', etc. There is no benefit to the vehicle owner, diagnostic tech or garage.

More
2 years 6 months ago #51713 by juergen.scholl

Exactly. There is no need for the complexity that is currently involved. There is no need to program a 'smart fuse box', etc. There is no benefit to the vehicle owner, diagnostic tech or garage.
We all now it......So the purpose of all of this is definitely a different one. And that discussion may bring us into heavy waters.... , modern times...

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #51755 by Andy.MacFadyen
I like some of the smart features, I like that my car tells me  when a bulb fails and which bulb to replace and when a tail light fails it turns on a rear fog light at reduced brightness ----  but I can live without electric handbrakes and DPFs that don't really  achieve anything. I can't understand why the cooling fans are  computer controlled when a simple  thermal switch would do the job.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
2 years 6 months ago #51756 by Andy.MacFadyen
Having posted that I should add I never want to synchronize worm twin or triple SU or set the idle on a pair of Weber DCOE's again

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Time to create page: 0.276 seconds