A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

Delta (India) Covid get the vaccine

More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #49766 by Andy.MacFadyen
My country Scotland is getting hit fairly hard by Delta Covid. Be aware the symptoms have changed, Delta first causes a runny nose and sneezing as result it spreads much more easily.

In the UK we vaccinated the older vulnerable.people first and these age groups have been well protected but Delta is spreading rapidly among younger unvaccinated age groups who are only recently getting their first jabs.

We are only seeing a small number of people dying but n increase in the 25 to 45 age range are being admitted to hospital and some will get Long Covid.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tutti57, Wightscope

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago #49767 by Chad
Nope.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
2 years 5 months ago #52126 by blowyourbrain
I got vaccinated, can't wait till they find a proper treatment or invent some meds.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy.MacFadyen

More
2 years 5 months ago #52176 by Andy.MacFadyen
They now have an effective anti-viral treatment Molnupiraver developed by Pfizer but  it must be given in the early stages and in production has not yet been fully approved.
What happened when Delta hit the UK was a large increase in cases but the effect hospital admissions   and deaths were relatively low.
The vaccines reduce the chance of testing positive Covid by  factor between 4 and 6 depending on what stats you look at

Two doses of Pfizer and Moderna  and Oxford Astra-Zennica vaccine proved  effective against Delta  and should be effective against Delta+ but for all the vaccines effectiveness decreases with time especially for the Oxford vaccine. We didn't use the single dose J&J vaccine which has similar waning effectiveness  issues to the Oxford.So we are now at the start of our booster campaign.
The effectiveness at protecting against death however has remained high even against Delta
An interesting statistic shows this a 30 year old in good health who is unvaccinated runs the same risk of serious illness and death from Covid as a 70 year old with all the pre-existing  health issue you would expect a 70 year old would carry. See UK Government graphics below.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Time to create page: 0.240 seconds