A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

Always learning

More
7 years 2 months ago #6458 by Knoxtech
Always learning was created by Knoxtech
One of the thing I love about the automotive world is that there is always something new to learn. This is my nightly view as I try gain more understanding of how to be better at diagnosing vehicles as well as hopefully carve out a new daily career. ( engineering desk job just isn't for me). Love to hear what others are doing to stay current on what is going on in the automotive repair world. Just trying to absorb as much info as possible.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 2 months ago #6459 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Always learning

Knoxtech wrote: One of the thing I love about the automotive world is that there is always something new to learn. This is my nightly view as I try gain more understanding of how to be better at diagnosing vehicles as well as hopefully carve out a new daily career. ( engineering desk job just isn't for me). Love to hear what others are doing to stay current on what is going on in the automotive repair world. Just trying to absorb as much info as possible.

I'm doing exactly what you're doing B)
Watch out for that Motor Age L1 book, there's some questionable stuff in the practice test...

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Knoxtech

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #6461 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Always learning
Someone posted this on the last forum, I still like to play it when I can't get any diag side work (which doesn't seem to be a problem lately)
simulator.electude.com/
I also subscribe to RealFixesRealFast as well as TST Seminars, both on youtube.
I get MotorAge in the mail, and like to lurk around the iATN forum and help requests.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Noah.

More
7 years 2 months ago #6462 by Knoxtech
Replied by Knoxtech on topic Always learning

Noah wrote:

Knoxtech wrote: One of the thing I love about the automotive world is that there is always something new to learn. This is my nightly view as I try gain more understanding of how to be better at diagnosing vehicles as well as hopefully carve out a new daily career. ( engineering desk job just isn't for me). Love to hear what others are doing to stay current on what is going on in the automotive repair world. Just trying to absorb as much info as possible.

I'm doing exactly what you're doing B)
Watch out for that Motor Age L1 book, there's some questionable stuff in the practice test...

Noah, yea I have noticed that in a few of the motor age books but overall they have been good source to study by when taking ase tests and recert test so hopefully it will get me through the L1 test.

More
7 years 2 months ago #6463 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Always learning
Awwww yeah, I recognize that L1 book! That plus SD material got me through. B)

I lurk iATN, too, like Noah mentioned. ScanShare.io also has a library of case studies, mostly about GM's, some of which are really cool.

I'm very lucky to get training through work, via Real World Training classes. Generally good stuff, depending on which teacher you get.

More
7 years 2 months ago #6465 by Knoxtech
Yea with it not being my day job right now means I really have to hammer the info into my head sometimes to make sure it sinks in. I hope other guys who have access to job provided training take advantage of it. There are some really smart people out there and if you listen to what they have to say you can always learn something. Also props to you Tyler for making a living in the field. Hope to get to that kind of level one day. Thank you and Noah for the info.

More
7 years 2 months ago #6489 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Always learning

Knoxtech wrote: Yea with it not being my day job right now means I really have to hammer the info into my head sometimes to make sure it sinks in. I hope other guys who have access to job provided training take advantage of it. There are some really smart people out there and if you listen to what they have to say you can always learn something. Also props to you Tyler for making a living in the field. Hope to get to that kind of level one day. Thank you and Noah for the info.

Thanks! :cheer: You'll definitely be a step ahead if you're studying L1 stuff before you enter the field professionally. :ohmy:

This'll probably sound like BS, but... these forums. :) I learn all kinds of stuff by reading what you guys post.

More
7 years 2 months ago #6499 by Knoxtech
I hope so. I worked as a tech for 2 yrs before college and before getting my ASE master tech . I just finish recerting it this last yr. my hope is that maintaining my ASE and getting my L1 would make me more hirable if I ever moved back to the automotive field full time again. Plus it's added knowledge and possibly added cred for when I have diagnostics on the side.

Time to create page: 0.238 seconds