A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

AC Machine or Programming setup

More
3 years 2 weeks ago - 3 years 2 weeks ago #48074 by John Curtis
I’ve been really expanding my operation in an attempt to recover from some major financial blows. A part of this has forced me to service the general public more and also take on more shops. Almost every shop asks if I can program, which I have yet to invest in the cardaq 3 but that is on my list. I also get daily inquiries for AC work. I’m thinking getting an AC setup will be more profitable more quickly. But I also seem to get a decent amount of work from shops sending cars to get programmed and programming isn’t the answer and I believe that the ability to program will open doors for more diagnostic work.

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.
Last edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by John Curtis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago - 3 years 2 weeks ago #48076 by Chad
If it's one, or the other, I would get an A/C machine, first. It is one of the MOST profitable pieces of equipment (R-134a only) that I have purchased.

I have a Cardaq-M, and while I would not part with it, on average, I use it less than once per month. Sometimes, more. If you have more demand for programming than that, than you may consider that, first. In my, not so, humble opinion, Programming is a bigger pain in the @ss than it is worth. Constant software Updates, Incompatible Software between Manufactures have to be installed on a separate HDD partition, or a different computer. (GM, Chrysler, and Ford are all compatible and can be on the same partition.) GM is the easiest, and one of the cheapest, to do. I don't mind doing GM, at all. Ford is not bad. Chrysler is a pain in the @ss. You must request and get your laptop/J box marriage approved, which will take a couple days after requesting. Rolling authentication is another hoop to jump through that requires a 3rd party APP on your phone. Then, it's THREE different subscriptions to purchase, making Chrysler the most expensive. One you get passed all that, their programming software is, actually, very nice.

My advice would be to get an A/C machine.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by Chad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Curtis

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #48077 by AJeep18
Not just servicing the AC system either. There are some jobs that simply can not be completed without a way to evacuate and recharge the AC system. (a line in the way of something else, pulling some engines, etc... And I agree with what Chad says, programming can really be a pain, I have done Fords and pre-2018 Chryslers and while certainly doable, the first few times certainly have a bit of a learning curve. This is all from the perspective of a tech not an owner though so take that for what it is worth ;) Also, being in Texas... I'm sure AC service is an even better business than it is up here in the North!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chad, John Curtis

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #48079 by Chad

AJeep18 wrote: Not just servicing the AC system either. There are some jobs that simply can not be completed without a way to evacuate and recharge the AC system.

Great point! My A/C machine is used on a daily basis. A/C Services account for only about 30-40% of the machine use. (More in the Summer. Less in the Winter.) The rest is removing interference.

The following user(s) said Thank You: John Curtis

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #48082 by John Curtis
I was leaning toward the AC machine but thanks for the input! I figure either one is a step in growing my business and while I don’t think either will be a wrong choice, I figured one will get me to where I want to go faster than the other.

I have actually turned down some repair jobs due to needing to evacuate systems that needed to remove things like AC compressors to remove other components.

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #48100 by Matt T
R134A machine is gonna be the fastest ROI for sure. Downside is it'll "force" you to deal with the general public even more. Most shops can do their own R134A work one way or another.........

Sounds like you prefer dealing with shops, so either a J-Box or a R1234YF machine may be a better choice. Unlikely to be as profitable short term but more likely to move your business in the direction it seems you want to go.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #48107 by John Curtis

Matt T wrote: R134A machine is gonna be the fastest ROI for sure. Downside is it'll "force" you to deal with the general public even more. Most shops can do their own R134A work one way or another.........

Sounds like you prefer dealing with shops, so either a J-Box or a R1234YF machine may be a better choice. Unlikely to be as profitable short term but more likely to move your business in the direction it seems you want to go.

I do prefer working with shops but at the moment I need to make every bit of money I can and am getting better at communicating with the general public. I have a mobile guy who only does AC work with a dual r134a and 1234yf machine. I do think going r134a will only offset me getting programming equipment by no more than 2 months. Goal is to turn it into a business ASAP and hire an employee so I can get back to my norm.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #48109 by Chad
A preview of, I assume, a new ScannerDanner video...The Joys of Programming.

www.facebook.com/ScannerDanner/videos/1241464562937976

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #48141 by John Curtis

Chad wrote: A preview of, I assume, a new ScannerDanner video...The Joys of Programming.

www.facebook.com/ScannerDanner/videos/1241464562937976

He should have called Keith.

Time to create page: 0.221 seconds