A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

18v Cordless Impact Wrench Ryobi or De Walt ? Opinnions ?

More
3 years 2 months ago #45725 by Andy.MacFadyen
Shopping for a high torrque 18v cordless brushless impact wrench. I want one that will cope with crankshaft pulley bolts as I am reluctant to use the tradditional power bar and jab on the sarter motor bodge on keyless pulleys.
In the UK the choice seems to be between the
Ryobi R18IW3-120S or
DeWalt DCF899P1 or
Sealey CP400LIHV

I also looked at the DeWalt DCF880N but suspect it wouldn't be powerful enough ??????

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #45726 by Noah
Milwaukee makes the one you want ;)

I have some experience with the dewalt stuff, MAC tools cordless tools are just red DeWalts. They're good, really good in fact. Better than any of my snap on cordless tools.
That first DeWalt you have listed in pretty sure is the MAC one everyone has at the junk yard, the higher amp hour battery obviously boosts performance.
But the one that's going to remove every bolt you throw at it without question is the Milwaukee. As long as you don't mind it's weight...

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Noah.

More
3 years 2 months ago #45727 by Matt T
The 899 Dewalt is the only gun you listed that might remove crank bolts reliably. The other three fall in the struggle with tight lug nuts category. Even the 899 is on the weak side, at 700/1,200 ft lb, compared to some other guns. IR's W7152 is rated 1,000/1,500 ft lb and some of the other manufacturers are also claiming similar numbers.

More
3 years 2 months ago #45728 by Matt T

Noah wrote: But the one that's going to remove every bolt you throw at it without question is the Milwaukee. As long as you don't mind it's weight...

Yeah those guns are really heavy with the $$$$ megabattery they need to make rated torque :lol: :silly:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
3 years 2 months ago #45734 by Chad

Noah wrote: Milwaukee makes the one you want ;)

I agree with Noah. I was a skeptic of Milwaukee, for years. I have, always, been a Snap-on fan. Earlier this year, my oil room supplier started dealing in Milwaukee tools and convinced me to try them. I was/am very impressed. Milwaukee blows Snap-on away! It's disappointing to know how much money I wasted on the all my cordless Snap-on tools. I am now a Milwaukee fan. B)

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
3 years 2 months ago #45749 by Tyler

Noah wrote: Milwaukee makes the one you want ;)

Truth right here. I have the Milwaukee M18 high torque, and it doesn't play games. All the techs at my shop that borrow it have taken to calling it 'the problem solver'. :silly:

However, if Milwaukee just isn't an option, then I'd go with the Dewalt option.

More
3 years 2 months ago #45836 by Tutti57
I also stand by the milwaukee. I have one of the older high torques and have taken off several crank bolts with no problem.

Another option that's worked for me is the high mass sockets. A few times where air impact wasn't moving crank bolts, I let the tech borrow one of these and it took it off after a few raps.

www.amazon.com/dp/B078K45ZQ4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_K5g.FbJGZE2HG

I recently found that Amazon is not an official distributer of milwaukee and could mess with warranty claims if they come up. My gun just started acting up and I am struggling to find my purchase records on it for warranty, and came across that info.

Nissan Tech

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #45843 by stevieturbo
I personally like Metabo products, but Makita probably has the widest range of stuff, which is handy for buying bare shells to go with your batteries.

Lots of people like Milwaukee, but my local seller says they pretty much stopped dealing with them as they're a nightmare for warranty or service parts. And they're a massive shop.

Although a friend swears by his Snap On gun, but they are overpriced, and their battery system very inflexible.

Makita ? Looks fairly short too compared to a lot, which will make access a little easier. Plus as said, Makita probably have the widest range of other tools to use the same batteries.
I see they also offer a 40v 3/4" version that looks like a beast.

www.powertoolworld.co.uk/makita-dtw1002z...act-wrench-body-only
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by stevieturbo.

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds