A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

Going to buy a Chromebook for browsing

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #44199 by Andy.MacFadyen
I have finally reached my limit with Windows 10 for browsing all the continual updates & additional anti-malware are driving me nuts. Obviously we will continue to need a Windows desktop and a Windows Notebook for some programes/
I have and continue to use Mint Linux as dual boot on my HP Notebook but for general browsing, internet shopping, foums and Facebook I want something bigger than my Fire Tablet but faster to load less hassle than Windows. So I am buying a Chromebook not a high end one as it really is just for browsing --- thinking Asus or Lenovo or perhaps HP although I haven't been 100% happy with the touch pad and case quality my last two HP notebooks.
What do you guys have ?

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #44246 by Tyler
I used a Asus Chromebook daily for several years, and absolutely loved it. Still available on Amazon:

www.amazon.com/ASUS-Chromebook-C202SA-YS...istant/dp/B01DBGVB7K

It wasn't Military Grade Rugged Design, like the pictures say. :silly: More like little kid resistant. But, it did survive daily shop life in my hands, and the battery was practically bottomless. I ended up getting another for home browsing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy.MacFadyen, Nelson60

More
3 years 5 months ago #44385 by tmcquinn
I'm on my 2nd Acer chromebook. When it dies or ages beyond the point where google will update the o/s, I will look for something tougher, maybe a convertible that can be used as a tablet. The cable that connects the screen went bad on my first one. I will NEVER take one of these apart again. Plastic snaps everywhere just daring you to break them, electrical connectors so tiny that you anyone with normal hands needs hemostats, to me they are meant to be used and disposed when they break. And that just isn't my way.

But having a battery that lasts all day, quick boot and shutdown times, and (so far) very high resistance to malware, are compelling features. It didn't take long before a chromebook became my constant companion. I thought that giving up Word and Excel for Google Docs and Sheets, after 31 years as a software developer, would hold me back but I rarely miss them. I've given up some privacy but I don't really care if someone at google views my OBDII logs. If it's private then I'll go back to the hated Windows, or soon Linux. I thought I would miss VBA but I'm a civilian now and rarely need to do more than format or move columns. Best of all, if I want to collaborate with someone, I no longer need to verify that they have Windows/Office. My wife can view the LAN notes on her Mac, my son can use Android, a friend on Linux can use it, it's pretty much a win in my book. Log

Sorry, you were asking about hardware and I went off on my anti-Windows rant. I feel that the one thing chromebooks share with Windows laptops is that they are very much a personal thing. I usually need to have one a few days before I know how I feel about it. I am old enough that I was forced to learn to type, so the keyboard is important (not impressed by the Acers), same with a big screen. A touchpad that doesn't shift the pointer every time I try to click is nice. But, at the end of the day, if I had to buy another chromebook every 2 years it would still be a bargain. The time I have spent futzing with Windows over the years is something I can never get back. But back then people used to pay me for it...

"I'll never know it all but I'm willing to settle for knowing where to find the answer!"

Time to create page: 0.244 seconds