A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

The Dilema of being a Wanted Tech

More
7 years 8 months ago #542 by Ro-longo
I guess this is a good problem to have but it sure is giving me a headache.

What is more important, A shop with better equipment and more room or a Shop with not so great equipment but better pay (a lot better)

Just thought I would ask some of my peers.

"Silver bullets are for killing Werewolves, not fixing Cars." -Rob Longoria-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #547 by Andy.MacFadyen
Follow the money............... and educate them into getting better gear.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ro-longo

More
7 years 8 months ago #560 by Tyler
Without going into specifics, how much better is the pay? 'Little bit of extra money' better, or 'I can pay down my student loans' better?

I think I'd say follow the equipment and shop space, personally. I've found that good equipment can make short work of situations that would otherwise be real problems, and having room to work helps you say flexible and efficient. But, I also think like a flat rate tech, and I place a lot of value in my work day going smoothly.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 8 months ago #566 by Noah
I've never picked up my toys and left for less money.
I have however refused more money that would tie up my personal freedom.
Being comfortable for me is very important, and not just financially speaking. I don't mind working exceptionally hard for an employer who understands that I am a person, and have a life to attend to outside of work.
If the guy who owns all the nice equipment is a hard ass, how much easier is your job going to be? Or maybe he's super generous and will pay your tool bills and throw you all kinds of paid time off...

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
7 years 8 months ago #581 by Ro-longo
Thanks for all the replies.

About the only difference in technology is the shop I work at now has a VERUS Pro and the shop that wants me has the MODUS Ultra. That part can be worked around since mainly I use my ETHOS Tech and Vantage Ultra (I have to wait in line for the VERUS). Issue is the shop itself. going from 3 bays to 1 bay and in ground lifts.

I have only been at the shop I am at now for a year. A service writer that works at the new shop worked at the shop I am at now and likes me so much he tries to have me follow him.

It would be a 10k raise in salary, plus I just got a 5k raise a month ago from this same shop offering me more and my current owner matching the offer.

It's a tough decision, I like the shop I am at but the work can be a chore, lots of used car auction basket case vehicles that they want bandaids on. And then there are the motor homes I absolutely hate.. other than that its good. I do most of the diagnostic work and help all the others when they run into troubles. I would be doing the same at the new shop, just in smaller environment.

Like I said, its a dilemma... but a good one... just a tough decision I have to make.

Thanks guys for the feedback

"Silver bullets are for killing Werewolves, not fixing Cars." -Rob Longoria-

More
7 years 8 months ago #584 by Tyler
No problem, sir! I guess no shop is perfect, eh?

IMO, it's pretty awesome that your current employer was willing to match that kind of raise for you. Lots of shop owners out there will swear they value their people, but won't pay to prove it.

Time to create page: 0.231 seconds