A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

How do I hookup my scope?

More
3 years 9 months ago #40329 by Jace
I have an Autel scope on its way and I would like to know how to properly hook it up. Does every channel lead have to be grounded or just one channel needs to be grounded?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #40334 by juergen.scholl
The 4 channels do share a common ground. If one channel's ground lead is connected to chassis ground all 4 channels are at the same potential. There is a dedicated led showing what the manual calls "equipotential".

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
3 years 9 months ago #40347 by Jace
Replied by Jace on topic How do I hookup my scope?
thank you. Is there anything wrong or harmful to the scope of I connect more than one ground?

More
3 years 9 months ago #40348 by juergen.scholl

Jace wrote: Is there anything wrong or harmful to the scope of I connect more than one ground?

No, but all ground leads must be connected to the same potential, in your case chassis ground/negative battery post.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
3 years 9 months ago #40438 by Andy.MacFadyen
The way you route both the signal and ground cables to the scope can have a big effect on how clean and hash free the scope trace is. Both signal and ground should be routed as far as possible away from any unit on the car such as coils, alternator, injectors or fan motors that could cause electromagnetic interference. That is why you will see in a lot of videos the leads hooked up on to the hood up clear of the engine

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

The following user(s) said Thank You: juergen.scholl

More
3 years 9 months ago #40441 by Landroverman1958
I would also say to get a sensor clean signal,use the sensor ground as it will be cleaner and have less noise on it,the signal(s) will be cleaner.if of course the sensor has a separate ground,ie on a hall effect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: juergen.scholl

More
3 years 9 months ago #40442 by juergen.scholl
Although this is a good recommendation for a single channel capture the OP, as relatively new to this topic, has to be made aware of possible ground loops and resulting problems while capturing more than just one channel at a time.....

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds