A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

Readers Rides

• Noah
  • Noah's Avatar Topic Author
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 8 months ago #451 by Noah
Readers Rides was created by Noah
I wanted a place to post pics of my car, and see what other people are driving out there.
I love seeing what people who KNOW about cars drive compared to what everyone else drives.
Before we updated the forum, there were some pretty cool things going on. The 6.0l conversion van comes to mind, there was carbureted v8 CTS someone was trying to wire up. Scanner Danner even have that lift kit series in his sweet Chevy pick-em-up. I thought build threads could go here, of not only cars and trucks, but boats, bikes, whatever else gets you revved up.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #1573 by jconiber
Replied by jconiber on topic Readers Rides
My dream ride. 1970 Chevelle SS. It really is a true SS, I have the build sheet. I've had this car for 17 years. Been collecting parts for 15 of them. Started the overhaul in March 2016. It'll probably be a couple more years to get it done as I am doing it all myself. Funds are less than plentiful these days.

Looking forward to seeing others rides too.

The start.

Removing the cancer

New panels being fitted

Testing the trunk lid and bumper fitment before welding the quarters on.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

• Noah
More
7 years 7 months ago #1687 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Readers Rides
Man, what a cool car! A real American icon.
Frame looks real solid too. I'll be waiting to see where this project heads for sure, thanks for sharing.

BTW, I've got that same welding mask.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #2083 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic Readers Rides
I found some pictures on the internet of my first real car that I bought in 1972, the first time I have seen it since I last saw it in 1979. I am a bit p***** by the description as looking at I can still see all the reconditioning and restoration work and chroming :-) I did on the car undisturbed. Although the interior has be renewed and the doors and rear wheel arches will probably have been re-skinned as I just did cosmetic repairs on those.

classiccars.brightwells.com/viewdetails.php?id=2271

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

• Noah
More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #2095 by Noah

Andy.MacFadyen wrote: I found some pictures on the internet of my first real car that I bought in 1972, the first time I have seen it since I last saw it in 1979. I am a bit p***** by the description as looking at I can still see all the reconditioning and restoration work and chroming :-) I did on the car undisturbed. Although the interior has be renewed and the doors and rear wheel arches will probably have been re-skinned as I just did cosmetic repairs on those.

classiccars.brightwells.com/viewdetails.php?id=2271

I've never seen one that nice in person. There was an old man who kept a white one at the shop and would drive it in parades. It was a rot box though, no where near as nice as yours.
Very cool! Did you happen across it by accident or did you know it was going to for sale?

Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Noah.

• Noah
More
7 years 7 months ago #2100 by Noah

This is my 91 Mustang GT. I always wanted a fox body mustang, so I've been collecting parts for years.
Eventually the car kind of fell into my lap, just a shell with a rear end and two bolts holding the front sub frame in. I've been piecing it together a bit at a time.

Attachments:

More
7 years 7 months ago #2102 by Andy.MacFadyen
The back story is I bought it off the sales manager in one of the local Austin/MG dealers. He had been offered it as a trade-in on an new MGB but his bosses wouldn't take the risk so he bought it himself, a few months down the line he needed the money to buy a house and my dad who always had his ear to the ground heard about it. In the end I got it for £500.
A few years an engine rebuild, brake rebuild and a good paint job later I parted company with it for £3,000. In the mid 1980's the value of these cars spiked and they were changing hands for £22,000 since then prices have fallen back to slightly more sensible levels.
Back in thosedays I was only working in the family Chrysler dealership part of the time my proper job was as a ships engineer working for BP I would spend anything from 2 to 6 months at sea and then have an equal time in leave which I would spend in the business.

More
7 years 6 months ago #2189 by jconiber
Replied by jconiber on topic Readers Rides
Hey Noah,

Here is my 1979 Mustang. I bought it when I was 14. It started life as a 4 cylinder with heavy duty radiator and stabilizer bar. I went through it mechanically and my mother drove it until just before I turned 16. That's when I painted it and added the aluminum wheels and white letter tires. The four banger had a problem with blowing the oil filters off on cold starts so it went to the curb. I rebuilt my very first engine to put in. It was a 289 v-8 from a 1965 Mercury Comet. I messed up by rolling the engine over without the timing chain correctly installed and bent three exhaust valves. It skipped a little when it started. Lol, I wasn't happy. The installation was rather easy after I did some junkyard scrounging to compare parts from other Fords. I used the oil pan from a 1984 T-bird, hoses for a Mustang and exhaust manifolds and crossover from a Fairmont with a v-8. The damn crossover bolted right up to the Mustang 4-cylinder converter. Talk about quiet. I used the 3 speed out of the Comet but the clutch pushed so hard your leg would start to shake at a stop light. Eventually went with a C-4. Foolishly, I sold the car when I went to tech school.
Attachments:

• Noah
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #2216 by Noah
Nice looking 4 eye fox! Such a versatile platform, everything just fits! And from underneath, they're virtually unchanged from '79 - '04. I think all those old cable clutch systems are notoriously hard.
Did you happen to spot the sweet looking Capri in pt.2 of the Scanner Danner Jeep Cherokee A/C repair series?
One minute in on the right. :whistle:

Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Noah.

More
7 years 4 months ago #3882 by Andy.MacFadyen
Not my ride (I wish) just a fabulous picture

I found on the Mille Miglia web site

Attachments:

More
7 years 4 months ago #3892 by matt.white
Replied by matt.white on topic Readers Rides
What is it Andy?

More
7 years 4 months ago #3896 by Andy.MacFadyen
I had to look it up it is an 1938 Alfa 1750 with a body by Touring of Milan -- a lot of Italian car companies in the run up to WW2 were building some fantastic shaped cars.

• Noah
More
7 years 4 months ago #3901 by Noah
That's pretty slick looking. I'm a sucker for external hinges, like on the front doors. The curved license plate is a nice touch. It may seem petty, but I hate the way a blunt rectangle licence plate breaks up the flow on a particularly elegant vehicle.

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #3997 by tony.redolfi
Replied by tony.redolfi on topic Readers Rides
I had a few cars,,, sold them all before I moved out here to Colorado,, I lost all my pictures but found a few I posted online years ago,,, the only problem is that they are all resized very small.... anyway ill post what I got

1965 GTO convertible with tripower and a nitrous system hooked onto the tripower,, I did everything,,, rebuilt the motor, trans, body , paint all myself

had this 50s pickup I was messing with,, never got around to completing...

my daily driver was a 1970 chevy pickup,, I don't have any pics of that one.

I drive a 2013 equinox now hahaha but its fully loaded, lots of cool buttons and stuff,, but its just not the same as the oldies

Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by tony.redolfi.

Time to create page: 0.283 seconds