A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

Car flipping? (Slow times)

More
3 years 11 months ago #39630 by John Curtis
Anyone have any good advice for those interested in maybe flipping vehicles? I’m sure it’s more of a question of what will satisfy and fulfill the need in a particular market while sourcing vehicles to flip at a price that allows for enough profit.

Thinking about purchasing vehicles that aren’t running, or have supposed bad head gaskets, or any drive ability problem that people are tired of trying to deal with and bringing them back to roadworthy condition.

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
3 years 11 months ago #39635 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Car flipping? (Slow times)
Man, I can't find a car worth flipping!
I need Hondas with less than 200,000 miles and no visible rust for $300-$1000 but anything in that price range is a total shit box and you end up marrying the thing.
Ok, you've gotta do a head gasket or a transmission to get it up and running, I'm prepared for that. But now it needs $200 in brake parts, and the AC doesn't work and a sun visor and a ball joint...
And all this after hours when I just want to spend time with my wife?
I can't tie up three or four thousand on something nicer and move it around all the freaking time because I've got to bring a car in the garage, and only make $300 after all it's said and done.
I've got an 03 Navigator I bought to flip just because I had the opportunity, but if I didn't have the junk yard at the shop like I do, I'd be under water on the damn thing.

Some times it's better to buy a sports car that has problems and sell it to someone looking for a project and make a few hundred without touching it. Tow it from A to B, buy it for X sell it for Y. Move on.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #39645 by John Curtis
I’ve only managed to do a handful of flips but it’s been more than a year and in a completely different area (back in California).

I did a couple of things to find cars to flip.

I would post wanted ads in Facebook market place to minimize time spent searching for a good buy.
The ads would be similar to these

“I want a car today. I have cash.”
Looking for vehicle must have title running or not. I have X amount of cash.

“Don’t trade in your car, sell it to me for CASH”
If you’re thinking about trading in your car, don’t do it. Dealers will only offer you trade-in value which is sometimes even less than what a junkyard will pay you”

I also would search keywords on every online market place I could.

As is
Needs work
Won’t start
Stall
Stalls
Not sure what’s wrong
Mechanic special
Mechanics special
Sell fast
Must go
Need gone
Fuel pump
Starter

I would also typically search for anything $1500 or less.

And I’d get the good deals typically just by negotiating.

However, I think I want to move more toward a niche market like jeeps that have a strong following. Honda’s IMO are extremely rare to find a good deal on. I’ve actually never found a good deal on one. But I haven’t flipped a ton of vehicles either.

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by John Curtis.

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds