A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

The importnace of interviewing the customer

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #38111 by JeffBirt
First let me state I'm not a professional mechanic. I have done about 99% of my own repairs for the last 30+ years though.

In several videos I have heard Paul talk about the importance of the tech being able to talk directly to the customer as this is the only way to get the real skinny on what problem they were having with the vehicle. You want to ask what problem they think they are having, any funny sounds, smells, etc. I have done field service on various equipment and a former boss of mine called this 'interviewing the customer'.

I'm wondering what actually happens at the average dealership or shop as my experience with them is very limited. The few times I have had to go to a dealership I've had mixed results. At a Toyota dealership the service write and tech were both awesome even when I had to return for a small follow-up problem. At a few other dealerships my impression of the service writer was that they were clueless and I'm not sure they actually every conveyed to the tech what I said.

I go to a locally owned shop here where I live for the few jobs I don't do myself and they are awesome. You can tell that the interaction between customer, service write and tech is all good and information is conveyed. If I take my truck in for an inspection and it needs something little it is OK to just go ahead and do it.

I guess what I'm getting it is an outsider to the industry I don't know f this is just a difference between shops, between a dealership and independent shop, etc. I'm just curious what your experience is from being in the industry.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 2 weeks ago #38134 by Noah
That is one area that my shop lacks in severely.
All I get is a few words written on the key tag of the car I'm going to work on.
Something like "L.F. noise & Leak"
It's very inefficient, embarrassing and it's never going to change...
Then there's no records of any work we performed on any cars. A couple weeks ago someone dropped off a Camry and told the boss, "you changed one bearing and said it needed the other one, so I'm dropping it off for that."
So key tag says " FT bearing", as boss hands me the key and says "but it could be the rear." Nobody remembers working on the car, there's no evidence of having changed a bearing on it on any corner of the car and it doesn't make noise driving or have any play on any of the wheels. All the customer knows is someone told him it needs "the other bearing", so the boss tells me "change the other bearing."

I would love to implement some kind of work order or form for customers to fill out. Maybe even take a ride with the customer when possible to verify the complaint.
Anything is better than "here's the keys, fix it".

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #38137 by Chad

Noah wrote: It's very inefficient, embarrassing and it's never going to change...

Wow. That sucks, Noah. :( Sounds like some poor management.

I would love to implement some kind of work order or form for customers to fill out.

You have solved the problem, already. I used Windows Notepad to create my own form. I have a stack of them on the counter. Nothing fancy. Just Contact Information, Vehicle YMM Information etc., and the Customers Complaint, written in THEIR OWN hand. That, in itself, saves a lot of miscommunication. This form is, also, for taking notes, new observations/parts needed, etc. Having the customer phone #, right there, makes it easy to give them a call, when you can't reproduce the problem, or need additional information. It wouldn't take anything more than a 1/2 hour with a text editor. Print some up, and give them to the powers that be. The worst they can do is say "No."

I go a step farther by scanning this form and digitally attach it (and code lists, waveforms, pictures...) to their invoice. My memory sucks. (Too much Low Bank 1 catalyst efficiency, perhaps ;) ) Doing this, I can look back years, and know what the customer is talking about when he says "Remember when you _________, about 2 years ago?"

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 4 years 2 weeks ago by Chad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #38184 by JeffBirt

That is one area that my shop lacks in severely.
All I get is a few words written on the key tag of the car I'm going to work on.

Wow! That makes your job much harder. For one field service job I had we kept a type of list of work done on a machine with the machine, stuck in an envelope hidden inside. That way any tech who happened to be there working on it could see what had been done and by who. We also had a work order pad to write up what we did but the history sheet was much more important for us.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #38194 by Tyler
The quantity and quality of info you get from a service adviser in the independent world can vary quite a bit. :blush: I've seen both ends of the spectrum. A service adviser that asks even a few probing questions is worth their weight in gold.

Some are only interested in gathering the bare minimum of information necessary to write a repair order. Get some vague complaint description, phone number, keys, boom. Go back to playing Candy Crush. Then get mad when the tech wants more info. :silly: Or worse, the diagnosis goes south because of misleading/missing information.

The worst part is, as you noted, the difference between a good service adviser and a weak one is obvious to everyone. Especially the customers. That ultimately impacts the shop car count, average RO, and so on. Everyone loses.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #38218 by Tutti57
It's case by case based on the person, rather than the type of shop. I'm lucky that all but one of our service advisors were smart techs, one a long time foreman. The one who wasn't a tech is a smart guy though and wouldn't give me a hard time if I needed more info.

We also have pretty detailed squeak/rattle worksheets that have to be filled out by the customer and writer. A requirement for warranty claims too.

Nissan Technician

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #38222 by JeffBirt

Tutti57 wrote: It's case by case based on the person, rather than the type of shop. I'm lucky that all but one of our service advisors were smart techs, one a long time foreman. The one who wasn't a tech is a smart guy though and wouldn't give me a hard time if I needed more info.

Yes, I guess that is true. Thinking about my experience with buying parts, which I have more experience with, some dealer parts guys have been awesome and some not so much. Same is true with auto parts stores some are good and some are really awful (but I won't mention AutoZone by name.)

Thanks for your feedback.

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds