A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

Does the minearl oil used for evap leak testing fluoresce

More
4 years 2 months ago #37277 by JeffBirt
I was watching a 2018 SD video this morning while working. This is the one where SD is having a fit finding an evap leak on a Honda Civic and vows it is his last evap leak job.

I got to wondering if the mineral oil used in evap smoke machines would fluoresce under a black light? I did a few minutes of internet searching and it seems like it may. It just seemed like it might be easier to see a small leak with a black light as you will, hopefully, only see the smoke and any other material which just happens to fluoresce.

If I can find my blacklight out in the shed I can give it a try by burning some mineral oil. Just curious if anyone has ever tried this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 2 months ago #37309 by Noah
That's a good question. There is an additive we can use in the machine at the shop for this, but I haven't tried it.
I personally like soapy water to find stubborn evap leaks when the flow gauge on the tool shows there is a leak but I can't seem to find any smoke.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
4 years 2 months ago #37361 by JeffBirt
Thanks. I'm a shade tree mechanic I am found of soapy water as well since I don't have a smoke machine. I was just curious about the mineral oil fluorescing as it seems that it could be handy, maybe for a hose hidden above a gas tank, etc. I did read where Olive oil did fluoresce which would make for an inexpensive and easy to obtain additive.

More
4 years 2 months ago #37435 by Hash Cash
I use a Motorvac Cool Smoke machine which uses a special oil (not baby oil) which does glow under UV light. It is also a safer smoke machine because it doesn't use a heat source. It can also do leak testing with or without turning on the smoke.

More
4 years 2 months ago #37457 by JeffBirt
That is interesting that it uses no heat. I would suspect than that it creates a mist from the mineral oil. The mist concerns me though as one thing I have found out using a coolant mister on machine tools is that particle size matters. If the mist generated is too fine it is irritating to breath and can cause lung issue for some people. I think maybe they would have accounted for this in there design.

Looking at the MSDS sheet they describe the fluid as having a 'mineral oil like' odor and it flash point is similar so I would suspect it is mineral oil with a fluorescent dye.

I think with mineral oil vapor the biggest danger to the technician might be getting the runs from breathing too much of it in :)

Thanks

More
4 years 1 month ago #38300 by Nelson60
We use a Redline Total Tech Smoke pro in the shop. The original oil specified for it was pure mineral oil Not sure if it flouresce or if mineral oil with dye can be used in it.
I have found that a laser light can help identify small smoke leaks in some cases. I used (and recommend) the Fluke RLD2 leak detection flashlight. Compact and has both Lazer light plus UV light combined along with stand light capabilites.

I have also been successful using Safety Seal Tire Leak seaker in a spray bottle to find some leaks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #38640 by Dtech494
Normal mineral oil does not.
There once was a product out there for smoke machines that
did have some dye but I have not seen it anymore.
Pure mineral oil which I use in RedTek is completely clear.
I think Snap on had it a few tears back but my dealer never carried it.
If anyone cares to research it and finds a product please post it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #38650 by Dtnel
I bought a bottle a couple years ago from Snap-On, misplaced it here in the garage at home. I found out I misplaced it as I was going to buy a bottle from my franchisee and asked him to look and see if I'd ever bought it and low and behold he said I'd bought one so I decided I'll wait till I find it. Till then I have a bottle of regular mineral oil.

My machine was a like new picked up from pawn shop about half the price and it worked the two times I've used it. I believe it's a Mac tools and came with all the adapters, etc.

OTC brand. Appx 1 lb it says. Expensive but says approved by certain vehicle mfrs.

www.toolsource.com/smoke-machines-c-102_...olution-p-96217.html

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #38651 by Dtnel
Does the forum alter a link to a website when you post it? Seems they're coming short and with .....'s where letters should be. I must be doing something wrong or does it go to a mod for approval then show the link? Confused?

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #38652 by Dtnel
Here's the Snap-On dye. Backordered but check with a franchisee in case they have on truck.

shop.snapon.com/product/EELD500-1

Time to create page: 0.366 seconds