A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

Looking at a Subaru and need feedback

More
4 years 2 months ago #37005 by Dtnel
I don't deal with Subaru's little if at all. Had a friend call me up today and after getting T-Boned in his Dodge 4x4 recently on ice he is looking at this car and wanted me to check it out for him.

I told him I don't have much experience with them but he wants some reassurance that it's good.

What are some known issues those of you who work on them see so I can check for him. IS this a decent car overall?

I've heard Subaru cars are good safety wise but not heard much mechanical except once I did see the infamous video of Eric O with South Main Auto working big nasty overtime to get the long threaded rod loose for replacing bushings.

Any and all information will be helpful. I'm including a link of a local news page that has listings for auto dealers who advertise.

I still want to run the kbb value on it as I don't know if it's high or avg or what. Dealers always seem high whether new or used car dealers.

www.kelolandautomall.com/inventory/detai...26?searchId=34425003
The following user(s) said Thank You: aboudi.naddaf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #37037 by Dtnel
VDC codes, tpms codes, missing engine to chassis ground strap, blowby smell of oil in cab. Extra clean interior.

Air bag recall per dealer who I checked history on. ABS pump/system activating properly as well as other systems. New battery

Oil leak at bottom on engine where there's a cross brace below engine but could tell where it was coming from as it's where transmission pan is nearby as well.

Brakes a little low for what I like to see. HE said they're asking about $600 more than KBB value. I recommended that if they didn't want to fix the steering angle sensor issues and other issues to pull his checkbook out and tell them he'll write them a check 1500 below asking price and if they negotiate that he shouldn't go any more than $1k below asking price as a alignment, transmission and differential fluid service are in order as well as unknown on brakes or any bearings as we didn't lift or pull wheels.

He seemed interested in this so I can't away someone and I don't bad mouth the vehicle in front of them either as it's not cool to do that.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 2 months ago #37054 by Noah
I like working on Subarus, they have some good ideas, (brake lines in the car instead of under it) and some bad ones, lol. Like any other brand really.
I don't think I saw that SMA video, but I am very well acquainted with that bolt :angry:

I don't think I've ever been in one that didn't smell like burning oil, because they all leak oil, lol.

I've seen front differentials grenade, transmissions go bad, lower end knock, head gaskets etc, but usually with over 200,000 miles.

I would buy the right one at the right price.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dtnel, aboudi.naddaf

More
4 years 2 months ago #37059 by Andy.MacFadyen
Over here they have a cult following in rural areas as a 4x4 they are surprising capabile , rust is the main issue, electrics are good and the petrol engines are very very good but not 100% bullet proof diesel engine hasn't anything like as good a reputation

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dtnel, aboudi.naddaf

More
4 years 2 months ago #37213 by Tutti57
Some of my worst vehicle repair experiences have been on Subarus. I try to avoid anything that isn't on the engine of them.

Nissan Technician

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds