A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

Predictive diagnostics ---a service to sell

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #35860 by Andy.MacFadyen
For small service stations the income from old style mileage based servicing has virtually disapeared as an income stream, so why not think about selling predictive diagnostics as a service at oil changes focusing on tests you can get a print out screen cap of. Here are a few suggestions:

Some scantools will do an all module health report
Batteyr AC Impedance testers will give a easy estimate of actual CCA and AH and percentage estimate of battery life remaining.
A cranking compression test will give you a picture to show the customer engine health and switching to DC you can test the battery, starter and atlernator heath.
Load test the alternator voltage and current.
Test the fuel pump with current clamp

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #35934 by John Curtis
I think this idea is good in theory, but in business, I firmly believe you have to put the the horse before the carriage. The horse in this situation being the customers and seeing things from their perspective.

This can be something that really separates your business from the shop next door, but it can also be viewed by the market as being sold unnecessary parts. I would imagine it would be an extremely hard service to sell to the masses and most people believe mechanics are untrustworthy. On this flip side of the coin, when you have loyal customers that you have established that trust with it would be easier to sell.

I think if you're running an independent shop, in order to make this work (initially) would be to offer it for free or even in exchange for the customer to share their experience with the predictive diagnostics service on their social media. Then use social media to show the process (in a not technical way) and even get customer testimonials to put together a campaign to run on social media. Once it gains traction and people really see the value in it, then it can be sold.

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds