× A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

Diagnostician

More
04 Dec 2019 04:56 #35554 by Pj
Diagnostician was created by Pj
Hi all
How would you go about convincing garage owners to hire you as a diagnostician. I ask this because over the years I have noticed that garage owners in my city finding it more and more difficult to diagnose correctly. With the right mindset and correct tools I know that there is good opportunity for good diagnostician. To do this professionally what must the diagnostic tool be capable off/ spec.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tyler
  • Letting the magic smoke out since 2011
More
07 Dec 2019 10:20 - 07 Dec 2019 10:23 #35610 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Diagnostician
In short, I think it'd be an uphill battle. :( I can only speak from my experience in my own area (midwest).

Are you talking about billing yourself as a full time diagnostician? Or a mobile diagnostician?

I don't know anyone that's been hired on full time at a shop as a diagnostician outright, or met anyone from an independent shop who's sole job is engine performance/electrical diagnostics. The main reason is that most independent shops don't have enough engine performance/electrical work to keep an efficient technician busy. Smaller shops might see two or three diagnostic tickets a day. Maybe none. Once those tickets are done, what does the diagnostician do for the rest of the day? :silly:

As a mobile diagnostician, I think it'd be important to have a wide array of services to offer, as well as tooling. You don't have to work on every single make/model. But you do need to be capable on the ones you do work on. That likely means an array of aftermarket scan tools, because no one tool will do it all.
Last edit: 07 Dec 2019 10:23 by Tyler.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.491 seconds