A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

What else can we do?????

More
4 years 5 months ago #33955 by BrandonF
Hey fellas. I don't think I have ever posted in here but I have been a premium subscriber with Mr. Paul for possibly 4 years now....I think....maybe...Anyways, he changed my life. And continues to do so daily. I have been the lead tech (even though its just 2 of us plus the owner) a couple of years now. Making killer money. Loving it......Until now. 2 of us are having to stop every 20 minutes for a dang service or a set of tires. 2 years now and we still haven't found an oil change/tire guy to replace our guy that left. We ran through 3 really really bad idiots quickly that made us gunshy and I guess the owners just gave up. We turn some pretty amazing numbers for our shop size and location but apparently no room to grow? I was hoping the owner would've expanded us this year so I can continue kicking ass in multiple bays but instead he builds a badass shop twice the size of our 3 bay out where he's building his custom home to store his multiple trucks, boats, tractor, a backhoe, 4 wheelers, etc.... I know.. I'm a bit salty. He knows i'll work my self into the ground this business, it just pisses me off working multiple tickets daily with an obvious dire need for multiple bays for me and the other tech and a damn service boy so we don't stop so much. Our services and tires have doubled so much in 9 years along with our mechanical. We a quite fortunate. But stopping so much has me freakin going stupid, setting tools down, misplacing parts, walking around for another 20 minutes like a moron looking for something I have now misplaced.....all I want to do is work on the car. I've never left a wheel, caliper, whatever loose....in 19 years. If I do now because of this I will pack up a leave immediately. I don't mind a service added to a ticket of mine, just don't like stopping every 20 minutes to handle the service side of a extremely busy business. Also customers barging into the bay while I'm working. Which was the breaking point for me today while im resealing a 2010 northstar, freakin torqueing the main caps 65 degrees while concentrating solely on my snap on torque angle screen that's gonna shut of any second and I gotta know what my degree was, when suddenly one of our regular mean ass older dudes that always has phantom issues, comes barging into my bay for my damn air hose not seeing the gigantic subframe on the floor directly placed under the rear of the caddy I was currently working on and slammed his large cankle. The business seems to be growing in the wrong direction. Now I'm questioning where else can I go. I can find employment in a different shop by the end of the week....but whats better than that? What other field can we get into as accurate, knowledgeable techs now...fleet repair maybe? Bout the only other thing that comes to mind for me. What y'all think? Sorry for the rant.
''

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #33958 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic What else can we do?????
I hear you, trust me. Work can be frustrating when we see a clear cut path to success but our superiors insist on detouring through the weeds.

There's really nothing you can do about it at the end of the day. It's not our baby, it's theirs... Like it or not.

So you can deal with the foolishness and continue to succeed in your own personal life or go looking for the Holy Grail of shops.
But they're all the same on a fundamental level.
The boss is the boss and the wrench is the wrench.
All you can do is voice your concerns in a reasonable tone and hope they don't fall on deaf ears.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Noah.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BrandonF

More
4 years 5 months ago #33963 by simclardy
How about going on your own?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: BrandonF

More
4 years 5 months ago #33999 by BrandonF
Replied by BrandonF on topic What else can we do?????
I greatly appreciate your responses. The same exact thing goes through my head daily. This is his game...I gotta play it his way. And I respect that totally. I also greatly value his business background & decisions he usually makes. Due to the fact of where we are in 9yrs (he's been open for 11 total), and that the business supports 3 families. In my 19 years, I have worked for 4 other places. And I have known shop layouts of many more. This is the smallest space I have ever been in doing the volume that we now do. And I just figured we would've grown by now. He's fully commited, I'm fully commited....just freaking out. Alot has changed for this place. This all happened (me and the owner meeting, and our great success) because our wives worked together for over 10 years side by side as NICU nurses. Then, 4 years ago or so, I lose it. Can't deal with customers anymore. Can't stop literally every 3-5 minutes to answer the phone anymore as well as wrench (I was leaving shop phones under hoods, on running boards, etc). Can no longer hold up my end of the bargin of being both a service advisor and a Tech. So his wife leaves her nursing career of almost 20 years to come and grab phones, walk ins, quotes and so on. So here we are now, even more successful. Making enough money that I brought my wife home last year to pursue her second career of homeschooling our 3 youngins......AND HE BUILT A #$%$&@ SHOP BIGGER THAN OURS at his home while I'm out rollin on the damn concrete. Whatever is going on with the GM strike had me totally frozen in one spot and without a rack last week. My pace has literally tripled since I've been a premium member back when Mr. Paul was on YouTube. Atleast 4 years now, gotta be. And all I want to do is go go go. I'll put one in my stall, and 3 lined up behind it if I get the chance (for flat stall work dang it lol). I can never thank him enough for what he has done for me and my family. I guess I just need a good ass kickin and put back in my place...I dont know. Try to slow down maybe. I hope you guys have a great Friday.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 5 months ago #34004 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic What else can we do?????
Sounds like you're heads in the game, but it's nice to have an outlet when you feel like you're point isn't getting across.
I think that having that outlet here among like minded individuals in similar situations adds to the tremendous value of this forum.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
4 years 5 months ago #34068 by simclardy
Hope it works out for the better. I did have a great Friday! Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds