Jobs

• Noah
  • Noah's Avatar Topic Author
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 8 months ago #382 by Noah
Jobs was created by Noah
So we all have jobs, right?
We're not all mechanics, we're not all technicians, but we all need to make money.
A lot of us have families to provide for (that happens to be my major motivation to work), and that almost always equates to some kind of sacrifice. That sacrifice usually involves time, and I think that is to be expected if you work for a company or are lucky and driven enough to work for yourself. The real problem, I find, comes when that sacrifice is your happiness.
I have had jobs that I could tolerate, had jobs that I LOVE, and jobs that I HATE.

I learned early on, that I cannot do a job that I don't enjoy, regardless of compensation, benefits or any other motivator offered by such job.
I couldn't work in a production facility environment (for very long anyhow), without sacrificing my happiness. Which in turn affects my family life in a negative way. So in a very real sense, having a good paying job that makes me miserable, makes me a poor provider for my family.
I've been lucky enough to fall into a job that makes me very happy. It's exceptionally labor intensive, I'm constantly exposed to the weather and dangerous work conditions, and have to shoulder a great deal of responsibility, but the rewards (to me) outweigh the negatives.
I've gone through MANY workers over the last 11 years and 2 salvage yards. This job isn't for everybody, but I have a hard time picturing myself anywhere else. I think about leaving (especially during the winter or long periods of rain), and have plenty of offers to work in shops for good money,but ultimately, I feel as though to do so would mean the sacrifice of my freedom and happiness.

So my question to you is this, what is your motivation to do the job that you do? And if you could change anything about what you do, what would it be?
Would you leave your job for more money? How about more time? I work 6 days a week, and for me a 2 day weekend would be about the only thing I would change about my job.
What about your own personal, emotional wellbeing? How about freedom? To come and go, take time when you need it, work extra hours if you need them? Do you have a job you love or hate? My Father always tells me how lucky I am to have a job I enjoy, and he's right. I consider myself very fortunate, and always try to remain thankful.

I only ask that if anyone chooses to respond, please don't come right out with how much money you make. I don't care how much you bring home, and it's honestly not anyone's business.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #428 by YTInnovativeSolution
Replied by YTInnovativeSolution on topic Jobs
The working folk spend the majority of their awakened day at work. Should one choose to aim low, low he will get. It seems insane and masochistic to do a daily routine for someone you despise. If you get trapped into something not of your doings, do something about that immediately.

KEEP YOUR INTEGRITY

• Noah
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #441 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Jobs

YTInnovativeSolution wrote: The working folk spend the majority of their awakened day at work. Should one choose to aim low, low he will get. It seems insane and masochistic to do a daily routine for someone you despise. If you get trapped into something not of your doings, do something about that immediately.

KEEP YOUR INTEGRITY

Agreed, however there is always some kind of compromise, regardless of what you field you choose to work in. That's more what I intended this discussion to be about. What will or won't you compromise to make a living? Is that compromise greater for the sake of those who depend on you, or conversely, would one be willing to compromise less should they be providing only for themselves?

Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Noah.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #467 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Jobs
I'm glad you brought this up, 'cause I ask myself these questions all the time!

I think my main motivation is that feeling of accomplishment when a repair goes well, and it was because of me. So many other jobs I've worked had no real perceptible results, nothing to point at and say, "Hey, I fixed that." In auto repair, the fruits of my labor are very real, and rewarding when things work out.

Would I leave my job for more money? Eh, probably not. Mo' money, mo' problems. More time? Possibly. I just recently got a position with weekends off, and it's still weird, lol. Been working six days a week, Saturdays and Sundays since forever, still a strange feeling.

If there's anything I'd change, it'd be the public perception of our trade. I honestly think we did it to ourselves, and now it's up to us to bring value and respect back to auto repair. I always find myself thinking that fixing the cars is easy, but working with the customers is the tough part. Having customers that think of us as crooks and wallet flushers really doesn't help.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Tyler.

• Noah
More
7 years 8 months ago #468 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Jobs
Hey Tyler, thanks for checking in man!

I always find myself thinking that fixing the cars is easy, but working with the customers is the tough part.

Enter: The Service Advisor! I never saw the value of such a position, until I started to see how common negative interactions between customers and techs can be. I now see how valuable it is to have that interface between the techs and the customers, almost like a translator, or representative.
But, that's another job all together, with it's own set of challenges and rewards. :silly:

More
7 years 8 months ago #527 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Jobs

Noah wrote: Hey Tyler, thanks for checking in man!

I always find myself thinking that fixing the cars is easy, but working with the customers is the tough part.

Enter: The Service Advisor! I never saw the value of such a position, until I started to see how common negative interactions between customers and techs can be. I now see how valuable it is to have that interface between the techs and the customers, almost like a translator, or representative.
But, that's another job all together, with it's own set of challenges and rewards. :silly:

Agreed, that's a completely different skill set, and (I think) just as valuable. I can BS my way though covering the phone over a lunch break if I have to, which always reinforces my respect for people that do it full time, lol.

Come to think of it, I'd say the quality of service advisor at a shop probably matters more to me than money when looking at perspective employers.

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds