A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

Adding a supercharger to an stock engine

More
4 years 10 months ago #31034 by guafa
Hi guys.

Does anyone have any experience with this subject?

I know about some apps that can change injection maps, but what i want to change is the size of the maps themselves.

I mean, with a supercharger you have a new pressure range (vavuum + positive pressure).

I'd like to add this new positive pressure range to the original vacuum map.

Are these apps capable of doing this?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31099 by tmcquinn
I am surely the least qualified person here. Not that I'll let that stop me...

I bought a turbo Subaru that the prior owner tried to upgrade to a hybrid after he blew the original engine. He bought a higher displacement short block and had his techs mate it to the original intake & exhaust. When this one blew it really blew. When I showed the pictures to the Subaru guys they were quick to note that you can't turn a n/a engine into a blown engine without changing to low compression pistons. I don't know, but it was stated as fact and never challenged.

Apologies in advance if I'm belaboring the obvious.

"I'll never know it all but I'm willing to settle for knowing where to find the answer!"

More
4 years 9 months ago #31103 by guafa
Hi Tmcquinn,

Thanks for suggestion and noted. The engine i am going to tune is 9.8:1 compression ratio. I have to take it to 8.5:1 or something near. I have also to change fuel injectors, map sensor (it is a speed density system).

Best regards.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31104 by PDM
You need to find a reputable tuner that has experience with adding forced induction to your engine. Also, talk to someone else who has already done what you're planning.

I've been down this road several times and currently own 2 supercharged cars. The tuning is not as simple as just fuel and ignition mapping.

If you really want to learn to tune it yourself, have someone else tune it and get you set up with the necessary hardware and software. Then, you can play around with the tune and see what effects your changes make.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
4 years 9 months ago #31110 by guafa
Thanks for your suggestions PDM.

I think part of the job is gonna be by myself (mechanical and electronical stuff) and part a tuner (programming). I am figuring out what it takes.

Can you please describe in general, those different aspects? these are in my radar:

Lubrication (selected supercharger has its own lubrication system)
Temperature (more engine power demands more powerfull cooling system)
Mechanical (hydraulic or mechanical valve lifters and compression ratio)
Electronics (wider range for map sensor and higher fuel flow injectors)

Thanks in advance

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #31118 by PDM
Be glad to share what I've learned. Give me the rundown on the vehicle, engine, and major components of the build.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by PDM.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31142 by guafa
Thanks you very much PDM,

My working area is small 4L engines. I don´t know exactly what is usefull. Anyway, here we go

My goal is to increase power in Low/middle range (specially climb ability in 2nd/3rd gear).

ENGINE:
D4F renault - (1250cc/76ci) - 16valves - timming belt driven - SOHC - 9.8:1 compression ratio - 72Hp

This engine has a turbocharged version (D4FT) with 9.4.1 compression ratio and 101Hp output (not my donor engine)

I´m going to collect information related to gearbox and supercharger and later let you know.

Thanks

Time to create page: 0.215 seconds