A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

Tap & Die Set

More
5 years 1 week ago #28485 by Tutti57
Tap & Die Set was created by Tutti57
Looking to upgrade my set and am going back and forth on which one to go for.

Hansen?
Gearwrench?
Mac?
Snap on?

It looks like the tool trucks are the only brands that actually have a lifetime warranty on the taps. Is the warranty necessary with these?

I was watching a few used Macs on eBay that would still have the warranty.

Thoughts?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 week ago #28486 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Tap & Die Set
Do you actually need to cut new threads, or just restore damaged ones? 'Cause I have a HF tap and die set, but almost never use it. :silly: I get way more use out of my thread restoring set:

www.tooltopia.com/lang-tools-971.aspx

Covers all the sizes and threads you're likely to run into daily. Similar sets are also available on the tool trucks if you want a warranty.

If you really do want a tap and die set, I've used this Irwin set and loved it. Even comes with drill bits and spiral extractors!

www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/117-Pc-Mac...Deluxe-Set-P164.aspx

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
5 years 1 week ago #28494 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Tap & Die Set
My thing with cheap tap sets is the possibility of breaking a tap in a hole... Then you're kind of extra screwed, lol.
I use the snap on set at work, but I also didn't pay for it.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
5 years 1 week ago - 5 years 1 week ago #28497 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic Tap & Die Set
The best taps and dies are made from High Speed Steel look for "HSS" etched on the shank cheaper taps and dies are High Carbon Steel "HSC" and the real junk are Carbon Steel.
For cutting new threads you really need HSS taps --- in theory you need the three tap set (starter, intermediate and plug taps) for each size but for pretty well all automotive repair work for years I have gotten away with just two or even one tap rather than the full set for for most size.

Watch out for different metric thread pitches from different manufacturers Nissan for example tend to use finer pitch threads than Ford

If you want to chase (clean-up and repair) damaged threads Hex Die Nuts that can be used with a socket wrench or ring spanner are easier to use than tradditinal button or split dies are on male threads on studs and bolts.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 5 years 1 week ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
5 years 1 week ago #28501 by Tutti57
Replied by Tutti57 on topic Re:Tap & Die Set
Maybe I should ask about the difference between a thread chaser and a tap?

I remember looking into this a few years ago and a machinist forum slamming us auto mechanics for using chasers. They said that a tap does the same thing and more if needed and that chasers are just cheap taps.

Thoughts? I like the idea of that Lane kit Tyler posted.

I have a metric T&D set that I got like 10 years ago from AutoZone or something but at work last week I ran into an SAE hole that was buggered up.

More
5 years 1 week ago #28509 by Andy.MacFadyen
Chasers are just blunt taps but they are intended not to cut but more push damaged threads back into shape I have no hesitation in using a chaser in cleaning up damaged spark plug hole but if was using a tap I would be much more cautious.

More
5 years 1 week ago #28511 by Tutti57
Ok, I think I'm going to to get that Lang chaser set.

Thanks fellas!

More
5 years 1 week ago #28512 by tmcquinn
Replied by tmcquinn on topic Re:Tap & Die Set

Tutti57 wrote: Maybe I should ask about the difference between a thread chaser and a tap?

This is 50+ year old stuff my father taught me, so things may have changed...

To me, a tap is something that will let you put cut threads into a bar of steel, after drilling the appropriate hole. It's all I have, all I've ever used, but I suppose it could be a bit aggressive if you were just cleaning up some threads. I really want a set of thread chasers some day since I do so little fabrication.

"I'll never know it all but I'm willing to settle for knowing where to find the answer!"

More
5 years 1 week ago #28517 by Andy.MacFadyen
A longtime back we were Chrysler UK dealers and had the misfortune to have the French Chryslers as part of the range we sold. The USA would eventually get a re-engined version of one model as the Horizon but the engine in the French versions was a Simca design that was very prone to the spark plug threads galling and cross threading s a result we made it standard practice to run a chaser down the plug hole every time a spark plug was changed.

More
4 years 11 months ago #29764 by Tutti57
I ended up getting a snap on thread chaser set a couple of weeks ago. It is probably the same exact kit as the Lang set, only life time warranty. I think I paid $130 for it. I was set on the Lang set but was on the truck, and it was on sale, and, you know. I had the itch to get some new tools since the last ones I ordered haven't come in yet.

Thanks for the information!

Time to create page: 0.231 seconds