A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

Well, this is not good

More
5 years 3 months ago #25187 by bullitt4514
The coolant tube running under the intake (Ford 4.6 SOHC) sprung a leak and caused an overheat .
Trying to decide if I want to tear into this motor, or just replace with a junkyard one with less miles.

All I know is that is a ton of water getting into the combustion chamber. Suspect cylinder 8, was getting a P0308 before this happened.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #25188 by Andy.MacFadyen
I know the feeling most of the models I work on have Rover K engines that are prone to external coolant leaks which wouldn't be so bad but they are also wet liner designs that tend to blow gaskets if overheated.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
5 years 3 months ago #25198 by TimC
Replied by TimC on topic Well, this is not good
What do you work on Andy - MG's/Lotus?

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
5 years 3 months ago #25221 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Well, this is not good
That sucks, I hate to see a hurting Crown Victoria :(

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
5 years 3 months ago #25225 by bullitt4514
Replied by bullitt4514 on topic Well, this is not good
Made assumptions.

Turns out the Dorman intake manifold failed, allowing engine vacuum to suck coolant from the water port in the head.
No evidence of water in the oil, but still need to check everything as that much water in the combustion chamber is not good.
This motor is high miles, was starting to have slight timing chain rattle at startup, and needed valve seals. While it wouldn't be too bad to just rebuild the top end if everything else checks out ok, I can get a junkyard long block , probably with less miles for half the cost of all the components needed to repair this moptor.

Looks to me like this gasket was a ticking time bomb. Luckily failed at my house and not half way of my 70 mile drive to work!

More
5 years 3 months ago #25233 by Andy.MacFadyen
Nearly all Rover 25/45/75, MGZT & Freelander I had one MGF client but he both abused and neglected it resulting in the inevitable dropped liner.
In the old days real MG and Lotus --- I had a love-hate relationship with 60'0s-70's Elans

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds