A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

Muffler hanger pliers reccomendation

More
5 years 7 months ago #23602 by JeffBirt
After fighting with removing the rubber muffler hanger from a muffler this weekend I went searching and found there is a tool for that. Yeah, a new tool. They seem to be in the price range of $15 to $100. I'm a shade tree mechanic so this is a tool I'll use a few times a year at most but I don't want to kick myself later for buying a cheap POS tool that is frustrating to use or breaks quickly.

Anyone have a favorite muffler hanger pliers tool?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #23603 by Tyler
My go-to is the Lisle 38350.

www.rockauto.com/en/parts/lisle,38350,ex...+hanger+tool,1001021

Super affordable, available everywhere, and they do a great job. B) My only complaint is the 'single' end on the pliers, not the fork. It's just a bit too thick for some hangers, and can get stuck in the hanger itself after removal. A quick trip to the bench grinder corrects that. ;)

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #23610 by Andy.MacFadyen
I have a pair ISTR Silverline brand --- especially handy for "box & tail" where access to hangers is in a resticted space they are great provided the barbs on the hangars aren't too big. However these rubber hangers are so low cost if they prove difficult I just cut them off.

A couple of exhaust tools I use a lot are a set pipe expanders and a pipe cutter.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
5 years 7 months ago #23620 by JeffBirt
Thanks guys. I ordered a pair of the Lisle pliers. The pipe expanders are also a very nice tool to have too. I recently had to buy a new one as my old one (type with two sizes on one tool) seemed to have walked away. I suspect I loaned it to someone and forgot about it.

More
5 years 7 months ago #23711 by JeffBirt
I had a chance to use the pliers yesterday to drop part of the exhaust to get at the front cats on my daughter's Escape. They made the job much easier.

More
5 years 7 months ago #23713 by Tyler
Nice. B) Which pipe expander did you get? I love the Lisle hanger pliers, but don't really care for this expander set I got off the tool truck.

www.lislecorp.com/specialty-tools/pipe-stretcher-kit

They do an absolutely fantastic job... of squaring the pipe so it'll never fit on anything. :angry: :silly:

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds