A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

New England Diagnosticians NH, ME, MA, VT, CT, NY, RI

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #23181 by graywave
Hi Guys,

Just to get more friendly with everyone, my name is Justin Gray from New Hampshire with GrayWave Diagnostics
FaceBook Page: Facebook.com/GrayWaveDiagnostics or www.GrayWaveDiagnostics.com
Email: GrayWaveDiagnostics@Gmail.com
Don't PM me on the forum since i'm never notified I have a new private message and find out months later.

I figured this might be a good thread for us more local technicians to get to know each other more and pass contact information back and forth privately via email.

On another note, I was thinking yesterday of having an event for anyone looking to go mobile or if you have your own shop. This event would be advertised and located in a parking lot with many diagnosticians. A chance for you to advertise and make some extra cash. Public could come in and for a fee, get their vehicle diagnosed.The fee would go to the diagnostician. At the same time even if their vehicle can't be driven, they can at least meet us diagnosticians and decide who to use that may be closer to them. Now obviously distance is an issue, if we had an event at the border of NH and MA then a diagnostician from RI, CT, VT, ME or NY may not want to join and advertise since it might be too far away. So that would be an issue.

I'm looking for ideas & concerns or if you think this would be a good idea at all. Also, I would find insurance for the event that us diagnosticians would each buy into which should make it affordable. This insurance, in theory would cover anyone who might make a mistake and pop a computer. Though I am not sure if any insurance company would even want to offer insurance. Obviously there is cost for an event like this so there might be a fee from the diagnostician as well to help cover all other event expenses.

Confirm what it's not, and fix what it is!
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by graywave.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #23207 by Tutti57
I think it's a great idea. Like a super shop. I often imagine what it would be like to just create a shop with just regulars on this forum. I think it's odd that there are so many techs out there who don't even know that this level of interest and knowledge in the field exists. It's like a subculture or something in a field that really requires it to be at the forefront.

• Noah
  • Away
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
5 years 8 months ago #23251 by Noah
I haven't noticed a lot members from the New England area...
You might be able to corner the market Justin!

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
5 years 8 months ago #23261 by Tyler
If by New England you mean the midwest, then absolutely! :lol: I'd be happy to fly out, though, if we got an event going.

I think it's a great idea. Like a super shop.

One hour diag, misfire. 10 minutes identifying the bad coil, 50 minutes discussing which scope to use, methods, probes, setup, ect. :lol:

• Noah
  • Away
More
5 years 8 months ago #23277 by Noah
Now accepting applications for the following positions:
Full Time Test Lead Detangler
Master Amp Probe Battery Changer
And some one to "Crank it Pete!"

More
5 years 8 months ago #23278 by Tyler

Noah wrote: Full Time Test Lead Detangler

Why are community colleges not offering 18 month certificates in these fields? Valuable skills!

More
5 years 8 months ago #23286 by Chad

Noah wrote: Now accepting applications for the following positions:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
5 years 8 months ago #23288 by graywave

Noah wrote: Now accepting applications for the following positions:

HAHAHAHA Thats awesome and so true. Official Position just OPENED UP. lol

I am actually surprised there is no not anyone else...hmmm. I know there are other diagnosticians in the area. There is at least 1 in mass but they are all the old guys who do know a heck of a lot. I am not sure about NH, at least one guy in NH. I know a snap on Verus rep works in mass at a shop, he seems to know his stuff but I don't think he is mobile.

I got your Email Noah, sorry I just haven't responded. Just got back from a GM Technology Class tonight and did some diag the night before and lazy all other nights, lol.

One hour diag, misfire. 10 minutes identifying the bad coil, 50 minutes discussing which scope to use, methods, probes, setup, ect.

Hahaha, Another true scenario! "Well we could do it this way instead..." or " Dude just use a power probe" . Arg, I hear that last one at my shop a lot.

More
5 years 8 months ago #23297 by Tutti57
Ha, I got a bunch of crap from a couple guys the other day about using propane and scan tool trying to find a vacuum leak. "We use shop solve here and why are you looking at stft? I don't even think it's fast enough to respond."

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

More
5 years 8 months ago #23306 by graywave
hahahaha. Yup they always think they know better haha.

I've used water which has helped sometimes to find leaks. You have success with propane?

More
5 years 8 months ago #23307 by Tutti57
Yes, it's worked well for me. I put a piece of hose on the end of the valve so I can snake it down into places.

I've seen Paul use the water. Great trick.

Whatever works! There is not one way to do things, as some think.

Taking the approach of always being a student and sometimes a teacher can be helpful.

More
5 years 8 months ago #23310 by Tyler

graywave wrote: Just got back from a GM Technology Class tonight

Nice. B) Worth going to?

• Noah
  • Away
More
5 years 8 months ago #23336 by Noah

Tutti57 wrote: Ha, I got a bunch of crap from a couple guys the other day about using propane and scan tool trying to find a vacuum leak. "We use shop solve here and why are you looking at stft? I don't even think it's fast enough to respond."

I noticed some suspicious looks from around the shop while vacuum leak testing with a scope on the o2 and propane...

More
5 years 8 months ago #23339 by graywave

Tyler wrote:

graywave wrote: Just got back from a GM Technology Class tonight

Nice. B) Worth going to?

Yes. Honestly all these classes I go to are worth going to. Some information I may have picked up in another class but I always learn something new. They hand out a book with most or all the information they go over.

For instance....I was looking all over the place for information on GM's 8 wire mass air flow sensors but gave up a while ago...They went over those in the class and what each wire was for.

Even if your shop doesn't pay for it which most will, there has only been 1 class I didn't care for years ago but all the rest have been awesome. Eye opening.

Attachments:

More
5 years 8 months ago #23340 by graywave

Noah wrote:

Tutti57 wrote: Ha, I got a bunch of crap from a couple guys the other day about using propane and scan tool trying to find a vacuum leak. "We use shop solve here and why are you looking at stft? I don't even think it's fast enough to respond."

I noticed some suspicious looks from around the shop while vacuum leak testing with a scope on the o2 and propane...

I have actually never tried that but I certainly will next time and see how well I make out. I'm sure I'll get those looks as well. I have used propane for testing Oxygen sensors and performing oxygen storage tests on Catalytic Converters.

More
5 years 7 months ago #23357 by Tyler

graywave wrote: For instance....I was looking all over the place for information on GM's 8 wire mass air flow sensors but gave up a while ago...They went over those in the class and what each wire was for.

It's a pretty cool sensor. B) The humidity/IAT2 circuit is especially interesting, varying the frequency and duty cycle to generate two signals on one circuit.

I first learned about that sensor a couple years ago at a BWD class. Whoever wrote the material wanted to see how much weight the humidity and IAT2 had for fuel trims, and used a dedicated signal generator in place of the sensor to find out. Turns out, very little. :lol: They cranked the humidity signal back and forth as far as possible, and only changed fuel trim a few points.

Still, seems like something we'd do. :silly:

More
5 years 7 months ago #23379 by graywave
Ya I need to grab some known goods of this sensor. To bad I don't have a 8 channel quality scope. lol

Time to create page: 0.254 seconds