A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

Valve Adjustment Off Engine

• Noah
  • Noah's Avatar Topic Author
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
5 years 10 months ago #21432 by Noah
I just finished a head job on a 2007 Honda Pilot after I discovered bent intake valves on both heads. Someone put a belt on it (must have broke) and it ran like crap. Big surprise...

I was wondering, since the rocker train and camshaft are in the head, has anyone successfully adjusted the valves on a bench before installing the heads?

I didn't want to do it twice so I just did it on the engine, but would bolting the heads to the block really change anything concerning valve lash?
It sure would make bank one exhaust valves a lot easier.

Looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #21435 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Valve Adjustment Off Engine
I dunno that it would matter? :huh: I suppose the head could bend and warp a bit as it tightens down to the block, but I can't figure it'd be that much. I think I'd be OK with doing the adjustment on the bench.

Not sure how many valve adjustments you do, but I highly recommend the Honda OE adjustment tool for anyone that does more than one or two a year. They're a little pricey, but it beats the snot out of a box wrench and a pocket screwdriver. :lol:

www.kseriesparts.com/HON-07MAA-PR7.html

The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
5 years 10 months ago #21458 by Andy.MacFadyen
We used to set the valve clearance on Hillman Imp cylinder heads on the bench, it was a shim setup the same as the opd Jaguar XK and Lotus engines.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

Time to create page: 0.419 seconds