A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

My first come back...

More
5 years 11 months ago #20573 by Tutti57
Last week we had a 2007 Camry come in that needed an oil change and inspection. It had a gas leak at the seam on the tank, both axles we're slinging grease, sway bar links we're bad, and all of the shocks were whooped. It didn't pass inspection and the customer declined all recommendations.

Today, the customer called and said she was towing it in because she stopped at a corner shop when the car starting running poorly and they said there was no oil in the car and no oil filter on it.

Of course I start the try to recall the job and can't specifically remember doing the oil change, just the issues with the car. It was possible that I messed up my process by having a Toyota in our Nissan dealership and didn't put oil in it, but no filter? We checked to see if parts billed for the filter and they did. If they actually gave me one and I didn't out it in, it would have been on my tool box or cart, which wasn't the case. If I put oil in it with no filter it would have made an instant mess, which also wasn't the case.

I got to check the car out as I was leaving and I had no oil and the filter was gone! There was oil all over the place on the car, looking like it came out while moving.

We checked the part number parts gave me and it was a Nissan filter. I don't remember it threading on poorly or anything.

Another tech said he put a Nissan filter on a Toyota once and it blew off after the car heated up since the threads aren't quite the same and after it expands it can come off. I don't know if it's true but it wasn't the right filter.

My boss says it's not on me and no OT my fault so don't worry, but I do feel partially responsible here.

I wouldn't have questioned it since I know they interchange with some Honda's and figured they looked it up.

We are calling the lady tomorrow morning to tell her that we are putting a new engine in the car for her.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #20574 by Ro-longo
Replied by Ro-longo on topic My first come back...
I would not call this a comeback since it was a faulty/incorrect part that was supplied to you.

Either way a feel for you, the amount of stress and worry you went through must have been intense. It's part of the business. At the end of the day we are all Human and make mistakes. At least it's something that can be fixed.

File this one in the memory bank and move on. Don't beat yourself up about it. It was something you had no idea was going to be an issue.

"Silver bullets are for killing Werewolves, not fixing Cars." -Rob Longoria-
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Tutti57

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #20575 by bruce.oliver
Replied by bruce.oliver on topic My first come back...
Damn that sucks. Many years ago we had a Toyota previa towed in missing the oil filter. We didn't do the oil change so not sure what happened on that one.

Can't say that you could have done anything to have prevented this. What I do know is that it sounds like you have good management there.
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by bruce.oliver.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tutti57

More
5 years 11 months ago #20591 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic My first come back...
Definitely cool that management is doing the engine swap and not jacking their customer around. :cheer:

I'm sure that if the filter had felt strange going on, you'd have called time out and reexamined the filter. Who's job is it to look up which filter going on which car?

Now you know for next time! :silly: Don't sweat it, that kind of stuff happens sometimes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tutti57

More
5 years 10 months ago #21445 by mack10man
Replied by mack10man on topic My first come back...
weather its me picking the filter or someone handling me one ...and it seems to be threading fine. i spin it on to where its almost making contact to oil filter housing. then a simple wiggle test should indicate if its a proper fit . should have minimal side to side play when threatened almost to surface contact, in some instances the filer seal might need to be popped off to check for sloppy thread. this method would be obviously used if your without reference book or aplication guide
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Tutti57

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds