A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

The 100Hp 6 cylinder Mercury Outboard continued

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #2105 by Andy.MacFadyen
Continued from old forum. the job turned out to be easier than expected, we managed to find NGK spark plugs equivalent to the original Champion J4J cleaned out the 6 Tillotson carburettors, fresh 2 stroke mixture and it fired it up ---- on 3 cylinders :-(

There was a good spark at both coils but not at 3 of the plugs. The ignition is an odd ball system 2 coils each providing a spark for 3 cylinders but only one distributer cap. The distributer has two king leads, one comes in from the side into of the cap via a fitting held by 2 screws. Removing this fitting revealed the problem the carbon brush was broken. I salvaged a carbon brush from an old Lucas distriubuter cap cleaned the distributer out and it was back purring on all 6 cylinders.

The owner inherited from his dad and hasn't got a test tank or a cooling water adaptor so we could only run it for less than a minute without letting it cool but it was sweet --- real quality engineering.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 6 months ago #2107 by Noah
Awesome, I was wondering if you ever got into with that beast. I had never seen one until you brought it up, so I googled it. Pretty cool engine, glad you got it straightened out.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds