A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

Highlander Hybrid Timing Belt

More
6 years 1 month ago #19102 by Tutti57
I'm going to replace the timing belt on my wife's 2006 Highlander when I get a chance in the upcoming weekends and in teh procedures noticed a special tool for crank bolt and pulley removal. Do I need those tools or can I get by with something else?

I'm going to do the water pump and other bits at the same time. Is there anything else I should do while in there? Crank seal (even if it's not leaking), spark plugs? I was going to pull them to making turning the engine over easier and a few of them might be under the intake, so I was thinking about just replacing them while I'm in there. It has about 108k miles on it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #19107 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Highlander Hybrid Timing Belt
3.3L? Those pulleys can be tough to get off without the special tool. :angry: You can try the ETCG 'two bars' method, but that means prying against the timing covers, and that won't end well. The shop has this OTC set , which works pretty well. I'm sure you have something to get the crank bolt off?

You could get by with something as simple as this , as long as you have the right bolts. IIRC, they're pretty small, M6 probably. Definitely not M8. Most kits won't have that size, so you may have to hit up a local hardware store to find the right length bolts to make it happen. ;) I recall having this struggle every time I do one of these timing belts. They occasionally slide right off the crank, but I wouldn't count on it. :silly:

If you're pulling the intake, you'll probably want several kinds of 14mm and 12mm sockets/wrenches on hand to get the rear bracket bolts loose. Other than that, I think you're good to go! I'd leave the seals alone if it were mine, but I'm not hating at all if you want to change them. This Lisle tool makes pulling the old seals a breeze, compared to clawing them out with picks and screwdrivers. :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tutti57

More
6 years 1 month ago #19109 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic Highlander Hybrid Timing Belt
The Bolt can be a real bear to break loose. This pic show the guy HOLDING the SST. You are better off bracing it against the floor, or frame. Then, get the biggest, baddest breaker-bar you have. Or a bad-ass impact. Sometimes a blast in the forward direction, with the gun, before reversing helps.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tutti57

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds