A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

Steel toe or no?

More
6 years 1 month ago #18567 by Tutti57
Steel toe or no? was created by Tutti57
Do you full time people wear steel toes or not? I've heard people say they'd rather crush their toes than cut them off.

Thoughts?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #18573 by rockp2
Replied by rockp2 on topic Steel toe or no?
My bet is that crushed broken toes is millions higher than anyone that has has toes lost due to steel toes. Working in a garage in my opinion is foolish without steel toes. Plus steel toes are a great place to rest a heavy item while you re-adjust your grip. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tutti57

More
6 years 1 month ago #18576 by bruce.oliver
Replied by bruce.oliver on topic Steel toe or no?
I wear steel toes. I've drip things on my toes before without steel toes. When a torsion bar bounces off your toes with it's full weight it hurts. It hurts a lot, and breaks a couple toes

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 years 1 month ago #18582 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Steel toe or no?
Steel toe or composite toe.
Good to hold up a door while you take out that last bolt, or a quick anvil to get a stuck nut out of a socket.
Only time i ever hurt a toe was from not having them.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
6 years 1 month ago #18590 by Ro-longo
Replied by Ro-longo on topic Steel toe or no?
No steel toe boots for me. Back in the day I used to, but seeing as that I mainly diag vehicles and let the younger guys do the heavy lifting I don't buy steel toed boots any more. Plus the steel toe boots are very cold in the winter and they don't last as long as non steel toe boots.

"Silver bullets are for killing Werewolves, not fixing Cars." -Rob Longoria-

More
6 years 1 month ago #18613 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:Steel toe or no?
I did steel toes for a long time but past couple years my feet and knees have gotten older and I prefer a more comfortable pair of nike air monarchs with custom insole (it's amazing how many other techs in my area are using them as well)

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

More
6 years 1 month ago #19184 by GypsyR
Replied by GypsyR on topic Re:Steel toe or no?
I've has to wear steel toes and I sure didn't like them. I like high top boots for the ankle support but don't want heavy ones. Since I basically stand on concrete all say I'm pretty picky. Latest favorite is black one that's an Academy Sports house brand apparently. "Tactical". Lace ups with zippers on the side to speed entry and exit. I had a problem with the oil dissolving the glue on many boots. In a few months the toe tended to separate from the sole. The last pair of Tacticals I actually wore through part of the sole and the seams were still tight. Those were "Raid" models. The ones I have now are "Siege". I like the Raids a slight bit better. Both are a great deal at about $50. I've paid triple that for boots I like a lot less.\
Non-slip is requirement for our shop. I've gotten fairly good at not dropping stuff on my feet over the years. I'm more concerned with hitting the delicate tarsals than my metatarsals anyway, steel toes don't help with that. I'd have to get some of those Frankenstein heavy boots the farriers (sensibly) use.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 years 1 month ago #19191 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Re:Steel toe or no?
In the past 3 or 4 years I've only been wearing wellington style boots for work. I can walk through anything and not get wet feet, and don't have to worry about torch slag burning the laces (and my feet).

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Attachments:

More
6 years 1 month ago #19211 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic Steel toe or no?
Red-Wing Steel Toe

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
6 years 1 month ago #19250 by Dylan
Replied by Dylan on topic Steel toe or no?
I wear shoes with composite toes. After years of steel toes and sore feet. 'Normal' shoes are not allowed at work due to insurance if something happens.

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #19284 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Steel toe or no?
People lose toes due to steel toes? :huh: I'd honestly never heard of that before.

One of my previous employers mandated steel toes, and I've stuck with them ever since. Not cause I've had toe-crushing incidents, just like the safety they provide.

Now non-slip, THAT should be a required feature in shops. Don't be wearing sneakers on smooth concrete then complain to me how slick the floor is. :angry:
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Tyler.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago - 6 years 2 weeks ago #20028 by Killerdx66
Replied by Killerdx66 on topic Steel toe or no?
I work in a salvage yard/ shop. I wear composite toe boots and there a must. I made the mistake of thinking I'd be ok with out them. Long story short, I had a front drive shaft fall from 6 foot and land on my big toe. I limped around for about 6 months with a broken big toe. Sucked a lot !!! I mean alot.....did I mention it sucked.....a lot?
Last edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by Killerdx66.

Time to create page: 0.246 seconds