A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

Re:Hydrogen fuel cell kit for diesel cars,good idea or bad idea

More
6 years 2 months ago #17141 by rmcw1873
Hi guys,living in the UK,we have loads of diesel cars and with the ever stricter anti-pollution laws we are seeing more devices bolted onto an engine to keep them "cleaner", if you're working at them you just find things are getting clogged up with carbon gunk,having looked into the different types of cleaning services available I found that you can actually fit a hydrogen fuel cell onto the car and supposedly this keeps everything clean,my wife has a two year old Volvo V40 D4 engine and it already has had two egr valves and coolers fitted under warranty (Volvo did say they were having issues with them)I was thinking of fitting a fuel cell to the car but was wondering if any of you guys have any experience of issues with hydrogen cell kits or any more information would be much appreciated,thanks
The topic has been locked.
More
6 years 2 months ago #17142 by Andy.MacFadyen
Really not -- apart from the fact you can't break the first law of thermodynamics hydrogen is a really lousy fuel for any kind of piston engine there is no point in the pain for no gain and invalidating your insurance.

A few years ago people were using LPG as a supplemental fuel for diesels that did produce benefits and more power but because of the potential dangers it got shutdown due to government pressures.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
6 years 2 months ago #17144 by rmcw1873
Thanks Andy,I thought you would have more of an idea than me of how it works,I suppose diesels aren't really suited for the short journeys we use them for in n.ireland,thus causing the build up
More
6 years 2 months ago #17151 by Ben
I tried a hydrogen fuel cell in hopes of fuel mileage increase (as heavily advertised ) and I did not get a single percent better fuel mileage... i really doubt there would be any cleaning benefit to them either...

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: rmcw1873
More
6 years 2 months ago #17165 by Andy.MacFadyen
It falls into the same snake oil bucket as the so called fuel catalysts that were on the market.

The following user(s) said Thank You: rmcw1873
More
1 year 8 months ago #57147 by Andy.MacFadyen
Solution: Don't fall for snake oil sellers

Time to create page: 0.284 seconds