A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

2 stroke weed eater ignition timing

More
6 years 3 months ago #16353 by EricGoodrich
What is ignition timing supposed to be for a small 2 stroke like a weed eater or ice auger?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16355 by Andy.MacFadyen
Usually the ignition timing on these is fixed by the magnets on the flywheel magneto on modern ones with electronic ignition the gap between the ignition sensor and the flywheel has a very very tiny effects on older models the points gap has a more significant effect

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
6 years 3 months ago #16356 by EricGoodrich

Andy.MacFadyen wrote: Usually the ignition timing on these is fixed by the magnets on the flywheel magneto on modern ones with electronic ignition the gap between the ignition sensor and the flywheel has a very very tiny effects on older models the points gap has a more significant effect

Thank you, and yes that's all true but I'm looking for the ignition timing spec. I am diagnosing a small engine and want to know if the flywheel has turned without having to take anything all apart.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16363 by EricGoodrich
From what I found, 8-12 degrees BTDC. I figured. Combustion is the same. Well, now we know.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16365 by arbez
How does one check the timing on a weedwacker? Are we doing some fancy scoping (is that a word?) here? Pictures & video, please. Inquiring minds want to know.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16367 by EricGoodrich
Pressure transducer in the cylinder and capacitive pickup on the secondary ignition wire.

I'm suspecting based off a symptom that the flywheel has spun and I want to confirm it without taking anything apart.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16402 by Andy.MacFadyen
Really old methods are more suitable mark TDC on the flywheel and crankcase and use a timing lights, but as any I have worked on have flywheel keyed to crank it even easier just take the nut and washer off to do a quick visual inspection.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
6 years 3 months ago #16404 by EricGoodrich
Faulty ignition module.

Timing starts at 8 degrees and gradually advances to 40 degrees. Key is in tact. Flywheel ok.

Attachments:

More
6 years 3 months ago #16405 by EricGoodrich
The engine tries to run backwards due to advanced ignition timing.

More
6 years 1 month ago #18148 by Smitty Smithsonite
Ahh, I missed this one! This stuff is my bread and butter - way less stress than working on cars. :D Paul has made my stress level go WAY down over the past year with some new knowledge, however. :)

I usually just remove the nut if I suspect the flywheel has spun - you'll see the channel for the keyway offset from where it's supposed to be, if it spun. Quick and easy check. Works on mowers, and lawn tractors too. I love the stuff - so simple to make it work.

The old R5 & RD350 Yamaha motorcycles from the 70's were famous for running backwards ( I own a '74 RD that I fully restored in '09 ) - what a surprise when you let the clutch out when the light turned green!! :D

Time to create page: 0.329 seconds