A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

Add on/special services

More
6 years 4 months ago #16161 by Tutti57
Does anyone do anything besides the standard repairs? Special services like machining, remote starters, performance mods, hybrid battery rebuilds/conditioning, oil analysis?

Just thinking of other things that can be sold to bring in other sources of income and interested in where other people also some unique skills.

There was a good article in Motor Age recently that talked about providing oil analysis to help inform customers about the health of their engine and make recommendations, possibly before a large repair.

I have an ultrasonic injector cleaner and flow test set up that I want to start using more and I'm just getting into paintless dent repair. I went to on of the schools in n CA for it and my tools just arrived.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #16164 by Andy.MacFadyen
Oil and trans fluid analysis is a great tool but a hard sell, if I were running a fleet of trucks or cabs I would use it extensively but would the ordinary Joe or even a small shop owner I see a use for it?

Checking Brake fluid for water is a quick easy test either using low cost pen style probes that measure the conductivity of the brake fluid or the very expensive one that boil the fluid. You can use the result to sell a fluid change or full overhaul.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
6 years 4 months ago #16167 by Tutti57
Replied by Tutti57 on topic Add on/special services
That's true. I definitely wouldn't buy the machine to do it. I think the value would be building the customer relationship by sending a sample out for them before they do an expensive repair so that they can feel better going forward with it and not Wondering if it's about to be an oil chugger. They might find out that it's not looking good and decide to pass on the service and would likely thank you for saving them money, hoping they become a repeat customer now.

That's how I would handle it at least. Just knowing that this industry is not trust worthy at all, it just something else to set you apart.

More
6 years 4 months ago #16168 by Andy.MacFadyen
You can do a pretty good oil test with just blotter spot chromatography will show antifreeze in the coolant, oil dilution and how much life is left in the oil.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Time to create page: 0.237 seconds