A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

ECU tuning

More
6 years 8 months ago #11743 by matt.white
ECU tuning was created by matt.white
Was either putting it here or techniques. Wasn't sure.

Anyway, is anyone here in the world of ECU reflashing? There's a place nearby offering courses in the use of petrol and diesel tuning. The all in course is nearly $4000 which is massive money to me but I'm really interested in it. I think the main think that attracts me is the fact that at the moment I really don't understand it at all and that bothers me. I think that part of what makes us good at this industry is an interest in the why and what and how of the things we're trying to fix and it all seems like a bit of dark magic to me at the moment.
Im wondering if a tuning course would also help me understand how factory computers work and why they do what they do and the reasons behind it.
To be honest, I'm not sure it's an industry as a whole that I want to be involved in. I wouldn't want to be known as the go to guy for all the local hoons but it does interest me.
I'm just looking at starting a discussion about it I guess. Thanks for any input.
As I'm not sure how many different reflashing tools are around, they're using names like k-tag and alien tech.

The business is ecuwest.com.au/ecu-remapping-flashing-tu...g-courses-australia/ for anyone interested in what I'm rambling about.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 years 8 months ago #11760 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic ECU tuning
Wow, that's a lot of money! For a guy like me anyway.
I'm really interested in computer tuning. There's a HUGE community of Honda enthusiasts in my area doing all kinds of crazy builds. They all "Go to the dyno for a tune". I don't know wtf that means, what do they do at the dyno to make the PCM forget about pollution controls and factory fuel maps?

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
6 years 8 months ago #11772 by matt.white
Replied by matt.white on topic Re:ECU tuning
Thanks for bothering to reply Noah. I know I don't connect my thoughts to my text that well.

Yeah there's a few things I'm thinking. If you modify how an engine can breathe such as an exhaust or cams for example then you could potentially adjust the settings in an ecu to suit and still remain legal.
The other thought is open loop WOT. What restrictions are placed on emissions at full throttle?
The area that really interests me is diesels. I own a hilux diesel and have driven some modified ones and the gains to be made are definitely there. And up until the introduction of DPF's I'm not sure what controls are in place for what exits the exhaust. Having said that, I'm thinking anything with forced induction has room for improvement without being stupid about it.
Like I said, I think my main hang up is not understanding it and I feel that I should.

• Noah
More
6 years 8 months ago #11783 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Re:ECU tuning
I feel like I can expect an intelligent, cognitive point from your end Matt. OG lifer! Lol
I feel similar to you, this incessant need to understand that which is do not. If other people can do it, there's no reason I can't learn it. That is, if someone is willing to teach it for less than $4000... It must be a real deal class and not just some 8 hour seminar for that kind of money.

More
6 years 8 months ago #11795 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic ECU tuning
Try following behind some of the remapped diesels --- seriously not good for your lungs basically they just turn up the fueling and add boost.

With petrol turbos they do the same and perhaps raise the rev limit and take the risk of increasing the ignition advance. With non-turbo petrol engines unless the manufacturer intentionaly limited the power output to fit into an insurance bracket (which is quite common) there isn't much can be done.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
6 years 8 months ago #11807 by matt.white
Yeah I understand what you're saying Andy. I know shops around here delete fault codes altogether such as egr faults so as to disable the system and that doesn't interest me.
I would find it really interesting to know why and how an ecu makes the decisions it does and the strategies behind it.
I knew someone would mention the environment and that's ok but it's not what interests me.
I did think that increasing boost AND air to keep similar AFR's wouldn't be too detrimental to the environment.
It is a 5 day course Noah at a shop that also does work for the public so I'd imagine it's hands on. I'm not sure my link worked through Tapatalk sorry, though across oceans is probably a bit far for you guys to bother.
I think I'll give it a miss. I wouldn't ask this on iATN for fear of getting shot down in flames and thought I'd ask you knowledgable yet approachable people your thoughts. Thanks gents.

• Noah
More
6 years 8 months ago #12119 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Re:ECU tuning
Deleting EGR and such is exactly what I'm interested in!
I've got a 26 year old Mustang that's emissions exempt with a cam, higher compression, and bigger injectors. I don't think the secondary air pump solenoid is relevant anymore (considering it not there anymore) and don't want to go into open loop fuel control over some antique BS emissions controls.

More
6 years 8 months ago #12153 by matt.white
Yeah and in that instance I totally understand why.
To be honest, if I was a more selfish man, I'd be tempted to delete all egr and dpf codes and to hell with it. But in reality we're a world of 7 billion people and if we all have that kind of attitude we'll all have a shorter and unhealthier life.
Having said that, the curious part of me is curious to know what my little diesel 'yota is capable of.

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds