A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

Multiple Issue Diag

More
4 months 5 days ago #63988 by GMTech37
Multiple Issue Diag was created by GMTech37
Hey long time viewer, first time premium member here. I’ve worked at a dealer doing mainly Drivability and Engine repair for years now. When dealing with a vehicle that has multiple issues, how are you guys handling this? I know Danner has made some videos on this subject. I frequently  find myself with the typical “Customer states Check engine light is on” concerns. Scan the vehicle and boom we have a rash of codes concerning different areas of the vehicle (which may or may not request SEL). I have no issue asking for my time but at a door rate of $195/hr it makes things difficult at times…. Thanks for any advice 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 months 4 days ago #63993 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Multiple Issue Diag
Unless the codes over lap, like small evap leak and large leak set at the same time, they will all be separate diagnostic charges.
I'll try to prioritize based on the customer complaint. If they are in for example, a driveability compliant, I will make the service rep aware that there are unrelated codes and the light may come back even if the problem they are experiencing is repaired.
If they need a state inspection and the light needs to be cured, I let it be known immediately after the first codes scan that there are multiple, unrelated issues that need to be billed as such.
Being salary, I get paid for my time however it goes down, so it's more an attempt to save face, and prevent comebacks.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
4 months 4 days ago #63996 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Multiple Issue Diag
I'm with Noah - faults (and/or symptoms) related to the customer complaint get diagnosed first. Customer states engine runs poorly? P0056, P0301, and P0456 stored? P0301 gets the initial hour. Go for the downstream heater if there's time remaining. P0456 gets another hour.

Airbag light is on, too? Another hour.

Of course it'll be case-by-case based on the faults and the specific vehicle. And the customer. IMO, learning when to stop testing and 'wallet check' a customer is an important technician skill.

Time to create page: 0.232 seconds