A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

Stupid Ford Question

• Noah
  • Noah's Avatar Topic Author
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 8 months ago #977 by Noah
Stupid Ford Question was created by Noah
This isn't really a repair question, so I thought I'd put it up here and try to get some feed back....
I have a 99 Navigator with a DOHC 5.4l and a 99 F150 with a 4.6l 4x4 manual transmission.
I'm 99% sure I can bolt that trans and transfer case in my Lincoln to make a 5spd Intech Navigator with a true 4x2(not the automatic AWD I have now), 4 hi and 4 low. I'll have to take the pedals, slave and master with all the piping, wire in the clutch switch, and eliminate the PRNDL switch. Maybe change the flange on the transfer case side of the rear drive shaft. I bet I can get it in within a day or so, but here's the dilemma...
I don't mind yanking the F150 trans to see if it uses 6 or 8 bolts to bolt the flywheel to the crank, but I don't want to tear down the Navigator to find out as this is my daily driver.
Does anyone know how many bolts the 32v 5.4l truck motor uses? Do you see any other reason why this swap wouldn't work? Even if it uses the same number of bolts, will they have the same thread pitch and diameter as the ones used in the Navigator crank? I don't care about a check engine light when all is said and done.
Thanks in advance.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #1002 by 1mouse3
Replied by 1mouse3 on topic Stupid Ford Question
this may be help and bolts would all be the same metric size. a check engine for the tanny may cause you to go in limp home mode, so need to be weary about that. I say why the hell not jump off that cliff, it would be interesting just dont forget the parachute

www.f150online.com/forums/articles-how-s...-5-4-swap-notes.html
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by 1mouse3.

• Noah
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #1017 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Stupid Ford Question
I checked Alldata for the torque specs, and it shows 8 bolts.
So that's a start any way. Thanks for the link, I'll check that out!

I just think it will be tons of fun to drive when it's all done. I always thought Expeditions were under powered, then I drove the Navigator. They all should have gotten that motor. 300 hp isn't all that much by today's standards, but it could be applied better than it is now. I've never been happy with the shift strategy or the automatic 4wd setting. Sometimes you just want to rip off the tires, you know? The 4R100 seems to be a pretty reliable trans, but there's so much more power in that motor going to waste because it wants to shift like a Super Duty.

Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Noah.

• Noah
More
7 years 8 months ago #1019 by Noah
Ok, figured it out. All Romeo engines have 8 bolts holding the flywheel to the crank. The F150 has a Romeo according to the Vin. 8th digit is W. So at least everything should bolt together...

More
7 years 8 months ago #1068 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Stupid Ford Question
LOL, this is TOTALLY a Noah project. Do all guys that work junkyards end up with a Frankenstein mentality? ;)

• Noah
More
7 years 8 months ago #1074 by Noah
Yeah, that and tetanus!

• Noah
More
7 years 8 months ago #1075 by Noah
Think the engine would still be balanced with the flywheel off a different engine? I should probably check to see if they have the same balancer. I know the Navigator has a larger balancer than some other Fords....

More
7 years 8 months ago #1076 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Stupid Ford Question

Noah wrote: Yeah, that and tetanus!

Hah!

Not sure about staying in balance... Are the flywheels/flexplates keyed to the crank? I've usually found flywheels to be independently balanced, but most of those were also aftermarket.

More
7 years 8 months ago #1099 by 1mouse3
Replied by 1mouse3 on topic Stupid Ford Question
junkyard venturers have Frankenstein mentality seems like a valid analogy, look at all my builds so yea I cant fight back against that statement.

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds