A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

Large off road tire repair

• Noah
  • Noah's Avatar Topic Author
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 1 week ago - 7 years 1 week ago #8923 by Noah
I was plugging a tire the other day on my front end loader in the junkyard, and thought some people may be interested to see how I do it.
After twelve years or so of running over about everything you can imagine, I've developed a pretty good method of plugging large punctures.
These are old take offs from other machines, new tires isn't an option and would be a waste of money for this use.
I also SERIOUSLY don't recommend trying this on a vehicle you intend to drive on the street!
These are 17.5 x 25 Loader/Grader tires. So, not very big by equipment standards.
Enough flapping, let's get on with it!

First off, I like these long brown plugs for this. The skinny black ones are fine for smaller stuff, but this is a real large puncture. (Any civilized industry would throw away this tire...WAIT, THEY DID! That's how I got it, LOL :silly: )

So start by threading one end of the plug through the eye of the repair tool
Then, thread the other end through the same side of the tool so that you have a loop

Then, take one loose end and thread it through that loop so you have a knot

Cinch the knot and stuff it in the puncture wound in the same direction as whatever you pulled out of the tire.
Repeat as many times as necessary :whistle:

And we'll run this one at 30 psi instead of 40 since it's a rear tire from now on.
Will it last forever? No way baby! But can I get on with my day and be productive and make money? Bet your britches I can, and will!

If I end up stuffing a v-belt in there or something later on, I'll be sure to take you guys along. Maybe I'll even show you how we put a new (used) tire on the rim after a sidewall blowout (which is about the only time I'd actually change a tire on this machine) if there's any interest in this sort of thing. ;)

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 7 years 1 week ago by Noah. Reason: Having a hard time with this many attatchments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 week ago #8970 by Dylan
Replied by Dylan on topic Large off road tire repair
Noah wrote:

If I end up stuffing a v-belt in there or something later on, I'll be sure to take you guys along. Maybe I'll even show you how we put a new (used) tire on the rim after a sidewall blowout (which is about the only time I'd actually change a tire on this machine) if there's any interest in this sort of thing. ;)

A v-belt... :lol: :lol: Good one
I actually use these plugs (the shorter ones) at the workshop. Although it's recommended not to use them I never had a problem with it.
So far :whistle:

• Noah
More
7 years 1 week ago #8995 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Large off road tire repair

Dylan wrote:
A v-belt... :lol: :lol: Good one

Oh, I wasn't kidding:

Attachments:

More
7 years 6 days ago #9006 by Dylan
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: Man that's crazy. How do you put that v-belt in and does it seal? :ohmy:

• Noah
More
7 years 6 days ago - 7 years 6 days ago #9016 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Large off road tire repair

Dylan wrote: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: Man that's crazy. How do you put that v-belt in and does it seal? :ohmy:

Crazy? Yes!
How? A dull flat head screwdriver.
Seal? Welll...

Actually, that plug outlasted the machine! That poor old Cat is a glorified lawn ornament with a bad engine. The inside of that tire must be a veritable time capsule of unorthodox plugs.
We're really expected to just make things happen with what we have available. At that time, that's what was available.
If you strategically place it in between a couple real tire plugs so it has something to grip, and dip it in bead seal, it does a better job than it ought to.

There's an old buck I know who's taught me more than a few questionable but effective tricks when it comes to tires ;)
You know, nothing you'd do to your daughters car. But damn, if we were stuck in the woods, you and I could drive out.

Last edit: 7 years 6 days ago by Noah.

More
7 years 5 days ago #9034 by Dylan

Noah wrote:

Dylan wrote: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: Man that's crazy. How do you put that v-belt in and does it seal? :ohmy:

Crazy? Yes!
How? A dull flat head screwdriver.
Seal? Welll...

Actually, that plug outlasted the machine! That poor old Cat is a glorified lawn ornament with a bad engine. The inside of that tire must be a veritable time capsule of unorthodox plugs.
We're really expected to just make things happen with what we have available. At that time, that's what was available.
If you strategically place it in between a couple real tire plugs so it has something to grip, and dip it in bead seal, it does a better job than it ought to.

There's an old buck I know who's taught me more than a few questionable but effective tricks when it comes to tires ;)
You know, nothing you'd do to your daughters car. But damn, if we were stuck in the woods, you and I could drive out.

That's genius man. Love it :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

Time to create page: 0.274 seconds