HT25COP ground...necessary?

More
1 year 10 months ago #56440 by DapperZapper
I got a Hantek HT25COP secondary probe. The manual is terse as usual. The PICO version gets connected to a BNC cord with a separate ground wire and clamp that you're supposed to hook up to the engine block. The Hantek one already has a BNC wire coming off of it and there does not appear to be any ground wire coming off it. Am I supposed to rig up a ground connection branching off of the BNC connection, or is this one just not used with a ground?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 10 months ago - 1 year 10 months ago #56457 by juergen.scholl
It depends on the probe design as far as shielding and insulation is concerned. ...The pico wand for the 4425A scope does not feature an external, dedicated ground connection either.

So if the Hantek probe comes with this cable - which seems to be hardwired to the probe - it will probably be fine. YouTube videos don't show another 'adaptstion'.

Then again, it's Hantek 8-;....

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
Last edit: 1 year 10 months ago by juergen.scholl.

More
1 year 10 months ago - 1 year 10 months ago #56459 by DapperZapper

Then again, it's Hantek 8-;....

The fact that I know exactly what you mean by this is kind of what led me to post here :)
Last edit: 1 year 10 months ago by DapperZapper. Reason: misspelling

More
1 year 10 months ago #56462 by Matt T
Replied by Matt T on topic HT25COP ground...necessary?
Difference is likely the 'scope hardware each probe is designed to work with. On the automotive Picoscopes each channel has an isolated ground. So the probe comes with a separate ground connector.

The grounds on Hantek 'scopes are all tied together internally. So it's probably assumed that the probe will be grounded by another channel which is connected to vehicle ground...........

More
1 year 10 months ago - 1 year 10 months ago #56465 by juergen.scholl

On the automotive Picoscopes each channel has an isolated ground. So the probe comes with a separate ground connecter ........

Not sure on this. The 'earlier' pico scopes do feature common ground and the cop probe with an external grounding will work with them as well. It's the 4425 and the 4425 A that come with floating grounds . Yet the COP paddle for the 4425A doesn't count with an external ground connection.

I would guess an extra ground cable is more for scope protection than signal adquisiton and this issue might be resolved differently on paddles without external ground lead.

Anyhow, specs say the 'seperate' grounds are only good for 35V though.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
Last edit: 1 year 10 months ago by juergen.scholl.

Time to create page: 0.423 seconds