Analyzing Ignition Waveforms

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #55317 by Joshasta
Hello,

I have just been scoping out ignition waveforms. I have a lot of questions. Can anyone recommend some good resources for further analysis? I have the scannerdanner book and I had a premium membership and watched all the videos. But I still have questions. Heres a few weird ignition event captures. Whats anyone think of these? All the same vehicle. All at idle.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #55326 by juergen.scholl

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chad

More
2 years 6 days ago #55672 by Joshasta
yes, thanks, been watching those TST seminars...

But take a look at the pics above.
The middle picture is good waveform.
The other two both show something different going on. Im not sure what.
But when I take a recording of a bunch of ignition events, should I disregard the weird looking waveforms and only focus on the good. Or did I catch something bad?

More
2 years 6 days ago #55679 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Analyzing Ignition Waveforms
Joshasta, I've got your three captures here. I'll give you my best WAG's. ;) Given that I don't know the vehicle (other than a Toyota) or the ignition system.

This one looks pretty clean, IMO. Normal amount of current draw. 1.5-ish ms burn time. Burn line looks normal. If this was taken off a Toyota COP, then this is probably about as good as it gets with secondary testing.

Best guess, the secondary probe placement on the coil isn't perfect. The characteristics are there, but the amplitude of the burn line isn't like the first.

This one *might* be misfiring? :huh: There's no clearly defined burn line. There's also no coil ringing at the end of the (non-existent) burn line. Again, probe placement may be a factor. I see this type of waveform on distributor systems when placing the probe on individual wires.

More
2 years 6 days ago - 2 years 6 days ago #55683 by Joshasta
Right on, Thanks Tyler.

This is from old '94 Toyota pickup. 3VZE. Distributor with electronic pickup.
I was moving my secondary clamp pickup around on the wires. Sometimes I could have my clamp placed further away from the distributor than other times...
But, yes, I was wondering what's up with the burn line on these 2:

Last edit: 2 years 6 days ago by Joshasta.

More
2 years 5 days ago #55730 by Paul P.
Here's another good resource, it's Mac's old book from the Allen Institute. Jim Morton shared this with me a few years back!!!!

drive.google.com/file/d/1wIbSpsoTrk-CtIL...WTE/view?usp=sharing

Never stop Learning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler, Palmer

More
2 years 4 days ago #55745 by Joshasta
sweet, thanks for sharing!

Time to create page: 0.221 seconds