DC ONLY AMP CLAMP

More
2 years 1 month ago #55316 by IRISH ISLANDER 4X4 DIAGNOSTICS
HELLO TO ALL MEMBERS

Just wanted to know what I would be missing out in buying a Pico Brand DC only amp clamp for my PicoScope?

What benefits would I get in a ac/dc model compared to just a dc model clamp. Looking at 60 amp clamps for solenoids, small motors, lighting , etc.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #55327 by juergen.scholl
Replied by juergen.scholl on topic DC ONLY AMP CLAMP
AC-coupling with a 60A clamp will allow relative compression measurements while on dc-setting it may go off scale/limit. Basically you'll get higher resolution as far as the dynamic portion of a waveform is concerned.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by juergen.scholl.

More
2 years 1 month ago #55331 by IRISH ISLANDER 4X4 DIAGNOSTICS
Thank you for the quick reply. I appreciate your input. At this time I have no intent on Relative Compression on this particular low amp clamp, At some later point I will by a high amp clamp rated for both ac/dc .

Other than Relative Compression, what is your personal opinion Using a dc only amp clamp on a Pico Scope?

Will it l be ok for general amp testing on general basic automotive components ,,IE :::fuel pumps, lighting, wipers, possible low amp readings through some sensors or computer driver circuits like a ECU or similar?

The Pico low amp dc clamp seems to have great specifications for this,, at least on paper,,lol

Trying to stay with the Pico Brand, for quality and reliability ,, their dc only clamp is in my budget right now for my first amp clamp ,,,,, basic low amperage automotive use.

Wanted to come here first, because this forum is the best place to get real life experience and opinions.

Thanks again for your time..looking forward to any comments you have.

More
2 years 1 month ago #55333 by juergen.scholl
My experience with the pico amp.clamps is a very good one, both high and low range ones. Combined with the extremly capable hardware of the (pico) scope itself and the vast software options of manipulating the waveforms the real limit probably will be your imagination and not the clamp.

Sensors may consume diminutive currents in the miliamp range. To get accurate readings in these ranges you would want to use a -expensive - microamp clamp. I do not see a technical need for it though.

Though the self powered TA 473 clamp for the 4425A scope is described as suitable for low currents. When used with a current multiplierit is announced as reading wideband A/F sensor current. Haven't tried this because while looping the current carrying wire on such a sensor may theoretically possible in the real life it is not practical.

Which clamp model are you viewing?

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
2 years 1 month ago #55334 by IRISH ISLANDER 4X4 DIAGNOSTICS
Looking at the Pico Low Amp clamp "60 amps" # TA496

More
2 years 1 month ago #55335 by IRISH ISLANDER 4X4 DIAGNOSTICS
Other than Relative Compression,, is ac coupling used a lot in other automotive testing?

Getting started in using oscilloscopes,,, always used Fluke Graphing Multimeters up to this point. The Pico TA-473amp clamp is very nice,,,,,, Just not seeing the $$$ spent on such a low amp probe compared to the Pico TA496.

More
2 years 1 month ago #55336 by juergen.scholl
If you look up the specifications you'll find that the 496 does allow AC-coupling via software. It is a good choice imo. Will do almost everything you mentioned as intended use.

Difference to the 473 in accuracy, resolution, among others.

More
2 years 1 month ago #55337 by IRISH ISLANDER 4X4 DIAGNOSTICS
Thanks for you input,,,, much appreciated.

More
2 years 1 month ago #55411 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic DC ONLY AMP CLAMP
Sealey have a wide range of decent quality amp clamps
TA311 or TA310 just avoid Hantek

The issues current clamps are the quality of the range switches and especially on DC range signal noise. Working on cars there is so much electro-magnetic noise anyway you aren't going to a perfectly clean signal anyway.
A DC current clamp has much more clever electronics inside it than an AC clamp .
Converting a DC to AC no big deal either on the clamp or by the probe setting on the scope.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds