SERIAL DECODE

More
2 years 2 months ago #54241 by IRISH ISLANDER 4X4 DIAGNOSTICS
I have a question on Automotive Scope Serial decoding, Regarding Can Bus, LIN, any automotive communications networks.. I tried doing a quick search on this topic and did not see much. If There is already a thread on this please post it below.

I am currently in the market for a scope. It seems as if it would be a Pico Scope, or the cheaper Autel MP408. Both would be a 4 channel model.I know the Autel is not a Pico form sure,,, I get it..lol..... This will be for private use , mostly on Jeep / Chrysler type vehicles.Could anyone tell me from experience ,, what could the new Automotive Pico Scopes do,, more than the Autel MP408, hooked up to a laptop computer, regarding Serial decoding?

I have seen Youtube videos with some people saying the Pico scopes can only show the messages being sent on a Bus,, but can not tell you exactly what the message content is being sent. My understand is also the Autel MP-408, can also do serial decoding,, not sure about LIN,,???? I know it can do basic Can networks as far as just decoding them. Any inputs on the Autel Serial Decode function?

Looking for members on here with both the Autel and Pico Scopes and their findings on Serial Decoding . Is there software that I can run in tandem with a scope that will do such a function?

I am slowly looking to upgrade my diagnostic equipment that I own,,, and buying the Autel would help me get other important things I need. The Pico scope would be something I would buy if it has enhanced Serial decode functions compared to other scopes as it is suppose to be the best out there. Would have to wait another full year due to funds.

Thank you for reading this message,, any input or experience is appreciated.

B) B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #54246 by Matt T
Replied by Matt T on topic SERIAL DECODE
Serial decoding is only useful if you have a way to link messages to modules. And with automotive CAN networks you don't have a good way to do that because the protocol uses message IDs rather than module IDs. Schrodingers Box on YT has a series on this which shows why decoding isn't useful for diagnostics. Also shows a better, and much cheaper, PC based alternative to decoding with a 'scope. Link is to part 1. There are at least two other parts.

Bottom line don't factor serial decoding into your 'scope buying decision. A MP408, or something even cheaper, now vs. waiting a year for a 4425A is a no brainer. Any 'scope is better than no 'scope.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
2 years 2 months ago #54253 by IRISH ISLANDER 4X4 DIAGNOSTICS
Thanks a lot for the awesome link. Gonna make a large cup of coffee and enjoy that youtube channel,,,lol Very informative,,, many thanks,, it answered a lot of my questions regarding serial decoding for automotive use.

Have you used or own the Autel MP-408 scope? Would you recommend it ?

More
2 years 2 months ago #54257 by juergen.scholl
Replied by juergen.scholl on topic SERIAL DECODE
Further "readings":

There is much more out there....

Serial Decoding to me is a kind of nice to know thing with little relevance for the actual repair work..To take really advantage of it you'd need tons of propietarian
information from the manufacturers. Otherwise you can spend your life time with rustrating intents to make sense out of limited information.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leon

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #54261 by IRISH ISLANDER 4X4 DIAGNOSTICS
Thank you for the links. Much appreciated. I agree with you. I have recently been more interested to ,,,,,,try reading these messages on the can networks and others. I feel it would be a guide to some networking issues we find as mechanics on todays new complicated electronics and networks.

Your last point was well taken, where to find the some of the additional info needed to complete the puzzle? Maybe that would be a future offering from online repair sources that we all use daily.
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by IRISH ISLANDER 4X4 DIAGNOSTICS.

Time to create page: 0.237 seconds