Snap-On recordings on Vantage, Modis, and triton D8 software Issue

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #52822 by wowcoop
So, I don't know how many of you have experienced this issue but considering the cost of Snap-On Software subscription's I really feel it needs to be addressed. Early last Summer I bought a Snap-On Vantage Ultra with the Software 21.02 installed and noticed that when saving recordings, the software would cut a sinewave signal in half at the zero volts line and only show the wave pattern above the Zero line.

Good wave form vs bad recording

when looking at the signal live it was normal but when saved in memory the play back only showed the positive side of the signal. The issue was both with playback on the scope itself and in the saved recording downloaded onto Shop-Stream connect as well.
Then I traded my Vantage in for a Modis ultra also loaded with 21.02, and the issue was the same as on my Vantage. So now I reasoned the issue was software related and not a fault of my scope.

I called Snap-On tech support about this back in August 0f 2021, and they replied that they had heard a few instances of the issue but that they were not clearly understanding what the issue actually was. I sent them screen shots and recording files along with a description of how to reproduce the fault on the Snap-On demo board. They assured me after viewing these that they would forward the issue to their software engineers for a software patch repair...

21.04 came out and because my Modis came with a free upgrade, I loaded 21.04 in and sadly the issue still persisted.

I have been drinking a lot of Snap-On Kool-Aid Lately and as if under a spell from my Snap-On tool truck Rep, I upgraded my Modis to a brand-new Triton D10!!! running 21.04 ("My name is Will and I am a Snapoholic"...). So I fired up the lab scope on the Triton and.... What? The issue is gone! My sine waves are whole no cut below the zero line on sinewaves...

So, after hearing from other posters that the Triton D8 also has the recording issue, I am guessing that the Triton D10 is running a completely new software platform for the Lab Scope software from the Vantage, Modis and Triton D8 line. Which is great for me but a major bummer for everyone else if Snap-On continues to ignore the Issue which they have so far been inclined to do; I am thinking that the reason is most users do not record scope traces or if they do they fail to review them.... Personally, my plan is to take as many recordings as possible and form a waveform library, which would be useless if the wave forms are not saved as they were recorded.

I would ask anyone running a Snap-On scope to try recording a positive negative switching sine wave, and see if you are experiencing this issue... At the current price of Snap-On Software subscriptions, I really feel that anyone with this issue should call Snap-On tech support and request they solve this defect.
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by wowcoop. Reason: title change

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #53578 by ProAuto
This is specifically why I haven't bought any snap on scanners or meters since the first MODIS and vantage back in the 90s. The MODIS purchase was a mistake because it was $10k with the European add on, you couldn't use the scope and scanner at the same time, upgrade means trade it in and buy a new one, and software updates cost more than others, like launch. However, my MODIS is a GREAT 4 channel scope to this day, and my vantage is a great everyday multimeter. I love having the graphing on it, even for simple checks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: juergen.scholl, wowcoop

More
1 year 11 months ago #55888 by Flatrater
I have a Triton D8

This has been corrected with the 22.2 update.

The tool used to save scope captures in the VSM format. It was slow, but easy enough to take apart and turn it into a CSV.

Without warning or consent, they changed the file format to the LSM format which is faster, but was screwed up. So far I've not figured out how to turn it into a CSV and they won't help.

Anyway, I raised hell with support on this and they couldn't have cared less. Stated it must have been some odd anomaly.

Later I found out from an insider that they knew darn well this was broken. I called support up, let them have it, and then told them I wanted it fixed. I paid for a working tool and they broke it.

They should have put an update fix for what they broke in ShopStream Connect. The said it wasn't going to happen, I would have to buy the update.

Long story short, I got the update and didn't pay for it.

And they wonder why people are buying Autel and other scanners...

I only got the fix because I contacted the right person.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Tyler, juergen.scholl

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
1 year 11 months ago #55890 by Noah
Good information Jim, thanks for sharing!

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
1 year 11 months ago #55897 by Tyler
Thank you for the update, Jim. After posting about this issue on iATN back in 11/2020, I also got in contact with someone from Snap-On and spelled out the problem, along with decimal points getting shifted around in saved scan data captures. They "logged a report in our system so it will be addressed". Uh huh.

I'm somewhat glad to hear they finally got it fixed? But I've already stopped updating my Triton. :silly:

And they wonder why people are buying Autel and other scanners...

That's exactly what I did. I'll be the first to point out the things that Snap-On does better. Still don't regret making the change.

Time to create page: 0.238 seconds