Clever scope software stuff

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #50125 by Wightscope
I am still learning the ever evolving Pico 7 software, but now it is available on Linux I can sit at home in comfort and play. 
Looking at a diesel car yesterday that had just had a cam belt done - I was in the garage for another job,  and it was running like poo on re-start. I offered to check cam/crank correlation as I had the scope out anyway - which much to the tech's relief was spot on.
However when I looked at the crank signal I could see an anomally, which if you use a scope is pretty obvious, but not sure the tech was convinced!

IMO it was an issue with the tone ring, but the pick up air gap was altered minutely and the problem was fixed.

I was looking for a way to make the problem more obvious and later on I found the "Crank 60" option on the maths channel - perfect and unmissable!

As the trace represents the acceleration of the crank with each firing, you can use this with a synch to identify a misfiring cylinder in the same way as a  a Ford powerbalance.

What clever scope stuff have you come across?

Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Wightscope.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago #50309 by Andy.MacFadyen
Another way to do it is use Scan data on.Bosch Common Rail systems will give RPM per cylinder at idle so you can pick out a poor cylindet.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Wightscope

More
2 years 8 months ago #50322 by AJeep18
Replied by AJeep18 on topic Clever scope software stuff
So is that math filter on the Pico similar or the same as the one on the ATS Escope? 

More
2 years 8 months ago #50325 by Wightscope
Not used the ATS sorry.
It's always been do-able in Pico 6 but you needed to program the maths channel, they have just put it in as a pre-set in 7.
Pico maths is very powerful, all about it here www.picoauto.com/support/topic21311.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chad

More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #50329 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic Clever scope software stuff

So is that math filter on the Pico similar or the same as the one on the ATS Escope? 

Overall, Pico has much more versatile Math Channel capabilities, limited only by your own imagination and capacity. But, the eScope makes CKP misfire detection extremely easy to do, and takes it a bit farther by marking and labeling cylinders. It, also, fills in the sync notch.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Chad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: juergen.scholl

Time to create page: 0.295 seconds