Alternator Current and Voltage test on Hantek 1008C

More
2 years 9 months ago #50102 by allenp
Hello,
is it possible to test alternator current using CC650 current clamp connected to battery side cable instead of alternator side?
I'm asking because I can't neither see nor approach alternator cable since it's deep inside engine bay underneath intake manifold and other cables and pipes...

Second, how do you test alternator voltage correctly using this scope? What settings in the scope do I need and which cable goes to what on the car/alternator?

Thanks,
I'm just a rookie, just started using this scope, I've never used one since high school where I wasn't paying much attention to it....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #50104 by juergen.scholl
Yes, you can measure the current output/amps of the alternator at the battery or any other location within the circuit. This is possible because the current flow is the same throughout the whole circuit. You just have to make sure to put your clamp around ONLY the alternator's output cable.

To measure alternator output voltage connect the probe of your scope to the B+ post/stud of the alternator and the ground directly to the alternator's case/housing.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds