Which scope to invest in? Pico or Snap on

More
2 years 9 months ago #49888 by Alexandros Vasilis
Which is ideal for begiginer and price wise as well? I know pico is really good but comes with a price but with a snap on vatage(Pro) like I saw Scannerdanner mention in his videos has a 2 channel scope and can do most of the staff but is discontinued and is outdated in info? Any shared experiences are appreciated. Many thanks Scannerdanner love ur contents and thanks for this community

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #49889 by Chad
No matter which scope you start out with, you will end up wanting a Pico.  There is nothing wrong with a snap-on scope. However, the zooming, filter, triggers, etc  can't compare to Pico.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Chad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ken1

More
2 years 9 months ago #49896 by Wightscope
Pico.
Software, support and power.
Things like advanced triggers so you can hold a crank signal by triggering after the gap and see if there is relative movement of the cam signal to look for a loose timing chain for example.
Reference waveforms on the same screen so you can overlay and compare.
It's pretty much the industry standard why would you go elsewhere? (other than the hit to the wallet!)
I got by with a 2204a for a while but my new 4425A is just great. The new leads that come with are worth it, rest of the stuff you can get cheaper or make.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 years 9 months ago #49911 by Noah

No matter which scope you start out with, you will end up wanting a Pico.  There is nothing wrong with a snap-on scope. However, the zooming, filter, triggers, etc  can't compare to Pico.
So true. I've been using Snap On for years, and it gets the job done. It's intuitive and easy to learn, but you hit a point when it would be nice have more. 

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
2 years 9 months ago #49913 by AJeep18
Same here. Have the snap on Vantage Ultra, which still can be updated, and it does fine for most of what I do, but after messing around with the Pico software for while… really wish I would have just waited and saved up some more. But… that said. It is handy to be able to have a more compact solution that I can just run out to a truck with instead of a laptop scope and a million wires. I would like a Pico, but don’t see myself giving up the SO any time soon either!

More
2 years 9 months ago #49920 by juergen.scholl
WARNING: confessing scope junkie here...

With that out of the way just a remider: no scope is better than it`s user although many users do not live up to the potential of their instruments.

The OP asking for beginner`s option with the eye on pico or SO (there are more alternatives, moneywise and technologically).

There are different points to consider, one of the most importants is the intended use of the tool.

Obviously as a beginner it's almost impossible to have a clear idea where this journey will go to. The SO will go a pretty good distance and the guided specific component tests will help in the beginning in the unknown world of triggering, timebase, scaling. But, as others already pointed out, if you take scoping seriously you will reach the point of its limitations and then you`ll long for another tool to leave these bounderies behind.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
2 years 9 months ago #49922 by Wightscope
You can get into a Pico 2204 A, some Hantek leads, probes and an amp clamp for <$250. There are ways to work around it's limitations, but as you will likely want a Pico in the end it gets you into the software and the operation of it and makes you appreciate what you are paying for in the automotive scope.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ken1

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds