I need your advice on scopes

• Joeusuck
  • Topic Author
More
22 Feb 2021 17:53 #46980 by Joeusuck
I need your advice on scopes was created by Joeusuck
Hello everyone,
This is Joe writing. I am recently shopping for a mobile scope, and here is my situation.
I am a dealer tech with OEM scanner tools available at work, so I think it makes more sense to just buy a stand alone scope with no scanner funtion. So that I can save some money on the device itself, and also dont have to worry about updating the sofeware down the road. Let me know what do you think about this idea, and why.
With that being said, I narrow down my options to 3 scopes:
#1: Snap-on Vantage Legend. $2,995CAD.
#2: Micsig TO1152. $580CAD. It is a 2-CH tablet scope, with decent quality and much lower price.
#3: AESWave UScope. $560CAD.

Any thoughts? Should I start low, and upgrade later on, or just buy that RIGHT tool for the first time?
Any suggestions or thoughts will be appriciated. Thank you.

Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Chad
  • I am not a parts changer.
More
22 Feb 2021 20:38 - 22 Feb 2021 20:40 #46984 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic I need your advice on scopes

I think it makes more sense to just buy a stand alone scope with no scanner funtion. So that I can save some money on the device itself, and also dont have to worry about updating the sofeware down the road...Any thoughts? Should I start low, and upgrade later on, or just buy that RIGHT tool for the first time?

A big part of the Vantage Legend's price is the "Guided Component Test" database, which is update-able software. The Vantage Legend is a 2-channel scope. Since you are not interested in software updates, I would recommend finding a used Verus. It is a 4-channel scope, and will also have the "Guided Component Tests" AND scantool capabilities (covering vehicles up to it's last software update). It does not have to be up to date to use the labscope to function. I know your are not interested in another scanner but, with a Verus you, essentially, have a scope/laptop with wifi. You can, wirelessly, send your waveforms to a PC for analysis with Shopstream connect, and more. (I happen to have a Verus Pro, updated to 20.2, that I have been considering selling. ;) )

If you want to do it "RIGHT" the first time, I would recommend getting a Picoscope. I don't know of anyone that is not happy with their Pico. ;)

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :)
Last edit: 22 Feb 2021 20:40 by Chad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joeusuck

• Joeusuck
  • Topic Author
More
22 Feb 2021 20:49 #46985 by Joeusuck
Replied by Joeusuck on topic I need your advice on scopes
Hey Chad, thank you for your reply.
Using a Pico with a laptop is a bit overkill for my position, maybe one day when I become the top guy in the shop, then I will grab a Pico lol.
Thanks to your advice, I will keep an eye on the used snap on market. By the way, how much would you ask if you decide to sell your used snap on? Just to get an idea of the used price.
Cheers.

• Chad
  • I am not a parts changer.
More
22 Feb 2021 21:56 #46987 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic I need your advice on scopes
I would want to get $2K for mine because the software was updated within the last year. (the updates are $1250 :woohoo: )

However, if you look around, you can probably find one with older software for somewhere around $1K. You may even be able to find a first generation, for about $500. They ALL use the same M4 scope. Even, the Zeus.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :)

More
24 Feb 2021 16:21 #47017 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic I need your advice on scopes
I would add the Ditex CarScope Viso to your list.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
24 Feb 2021 17:22 #47019 by stevieturbo
Replied by stevieturbo on topic I need your advice on scopes
A lot really depends what you will do with it.

Some of the above are only 1 or 2 channels ? In reality you'd probably want more if you're doing it "right", to cover you for the future.

Maybe call the likes of AES and discuss with them ?

But in terms of future upgrades or costs....in reality there would be none with the Pico, other than buying additional accessories. But that will apply with any scope.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.353 seconds