Verus Edge or Picoscope?

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #46081 by Jesh
I run a small shop (ie. just me :), i don't really do much heavy line work, more just driveability and electrical. I'm starting to diagnose more and more complicated problems and I am looking at getting a 4 channel picoscope, because all i have right now is my uscope. My snap on dealer came by today and we started talking about scopes and I told him what I was looking for. He showed me a verus edge he took on trade in that he would make me a screaming deal on. It has test leads, the latest update and all that stuff, I have great snap on dealer, he always shoots straight with me and tells it like it is. I'm looking at it this way, I need to get a scope, which the pico would do great, however it would be really handy to have a 4 channel scope within a scan tool. my current scanner is a LaunchTech USA Throttle (not a knockoff). fairly happy with it but having another option is always nice. I would also gain a very good scan tool. I know quite a bit about both the pico and the verus, but have never actually used them personal. here is my question to you guys, in my situation i'm only buying 1 scope, do i go with the pico or the verus, as far as scope capability? which is going to serve me better diagnosing vehicles day to day? The difference in cost isn't really the issue, i just can't afford both. I have til Friday to decide, looking forward to your feedback. Thanks.
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Jesh.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
3 years 3 months ago #46088 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Verus Edge or Picoscope?
I own a Verus Edge and honestly, I'd be lost without it.
I've been going out on some mobile diag ride alongs with a local business and the urge to grab the Verus is overwhelming when I'm watching these guys use OEM scan tools and the Pico scope.
Paired with the Launch scan tool you already have would give you quite a bit of capability you wouldn't have with just one scanner or the other.
The scope is more than adequate for 99% of the issues you'll see on a day to day basis. The built in guided component tests will get you up and running until you're comfortable enough to set up for various testing scenarios.
The Pico has more functionality, more rulers and cursors and can be set up to do all kinds of neat tricks via math channels (none of which I have any hands on experience with).
Just because I'm comfortable with the tool and I've been using it so long, I would go for the Verus.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jesh

More
3 years 3 months ago #46092 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic Verus Edge or Picoscope?
I think this decision is, greatly, dependent on how comfortable you are with your current Scan tool capabilities. I have, and use, both Verus and Pico.

As Noah pointed out, the Verus is a very nice all-around package. If you are lacking in Scan-tool capabilities, or Service information (Guided Component Tests), I would choose the Verus. The scope is very good scope. The Bi-directional capabilities are good, too. It, for the most part, has the bases covered all the way around.

If you are looking for pure scoping power, then hands down, go Pico.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Jesh

More
3 years 3 months ago #46108 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Verus Edge or Picoscope?
I use Snap-On, Launch and Pico daily. If I had to chose one only, I'd stick with the Verus.

For me, the deciding factor is ease of scope use during common diagnostics, and test drives. You can take the Verus right into the trunk with you while testing a Ford FPDM, or in the passenger footwell when testing a blower speed controller. Getting the Pico set up in the same conditions is arguably more work. Do you NEED a scope for those systems? No, but it's really nice. ;)

However, the Pico still has tremendous value for all kinds of situations. Got an intermittent stall? Hook the Pico up and let it record until it stalls. Your scan tool is free to work on whatever else. Relative compression and pressure pulse testing is easy-breezy. Plus, the included functions in Pico Diagnostics 6 are worthwhile on their own. I quit using the shop battery tester in favor of the Pico battery test. It's faster to set up and more accurate, IMO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jesh

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds