4 or 2 channel Pico for vintage cars

More
3 years 3 months ago #45615 by Homebrewmachinist
hello,

So I’ve been using a really old sun 945/947 engine analyzer and it has a oscilloscope in it that I’d watch primary and secondary ignition on. Sadly it’s no longer workin so I’d like to set myself up with a new tool.

Ive heard great things about the PicoScope and my plan is to use one to replace the sun 945/947. I only work on cars from 1920-1970 so they all use distributors and none have computers. really the only thing I see myself using this for is reading secondary/primary ignition.

My plan was to get a 4225A, a mixmaster, and a set of 4 extra mixmaster secondary ignition pickups. I figure that should replace the sun analyzer.

My main question is should I get a 4 channel? I’m really not sure where I’d use it on the vintage cars as most of the wiring and switches are very simple and I don’t work on cars with computers.

Also do I need the mixmaster? my sun used a single lead connected to the wire on the coil and then it used a lead on #1 cylinder to sync them. Can the Pico do this?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 months ago #45624 by Matt T
No need for that mixmaster.

www.picoauto.com/library/automotive-guid...dary-voltage-parade/

You might never use 4 channels but better to have it and not need it IMO.

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #45676 by Andy.MacFadyen
With a car with carbs and either coil or magneto ignition two channels are more than enough. You might want to consider the Ditex range of scopes

My shopping list would be
Two ignition probes
A current clamp for cranking compression tests and starter, DC or alternator charging system testing and setting and battery tests.
And optional in-cylinder pressure sensor and first look style pressure pulse

With that assortment you should be able to find the cause of any misfire or cylinder balance issue

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds