Help with scope.

More
3 years 3 months ago #45519 by david.rudling-smith
Hi guys,

Was after some advice. Having previously wasted money on a scope (not really fit for purpose and wasn’t automotive specific) I was after some advice.

I work outside mainly on sites, mainly on cars and light vehicles sometimes on lorries and plant/agricultural.

I’m new to using a scope but put in a lot effort into learning and reading.

I would like a scope that is primarily easy to get and load(so ideally hand held) , robust (as I work outside in not so sunny uk(Wales)) and a good platform to learn from and advance in oscilloscope diagnosis!

One I had found was the

Draper 64573 - if people could give me there opinions on this and any alternatives Heres link

I had also thought about the the uscope but do like the idea of two channels.

Many thanks david

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 months ago #45521 by Matt T
Replied by Matt T on topic Help with scope.
That Draper looks expensive for what it is IMO. Doubt it's much better than the Hantek 2D82 which is a lot cheaper.

eleshop.eu/hantek-2d82-auto-automotive-oscilloscope.html

For a bit less than the Draper the Micsig ATO1104 is worth a look.

www.telonic.co.uk/Micsig-ATO1104-Tablet-...ope-p/mi-ato1104.htm

Used Snap-on would be another option is the States but not sure about the UK??

More
3 years 3 months ago #45522 by david.rudling-smith
Thank you for the advice I like the look of both of those! What makes the difference in one being £500 more expensive? Apart from looks/4ch

Also with the hantek is the wave signal generator any good? Looks like you have to know the exact wave form to be able to use it? Compared to signal generators where they are preset

More
3 years 3 months ago #45523 by david.rudling-smith
Also what’s everyone’s opinion on the ditex carscope viso? Especially compared to micsig

More
3 years 3 months ago #45524 by Matt T
Replied by Matt T on topic Help with scope.

david.rudling-smith wrote: Thank you for the advice I like the look of both of those! What makes the difference in one being £500 more expensive? Apart from looks/4ch

Main difference, aside from the obvious, is the Micsig has a very large buffer which'll let you record a fairly long capture then go back and review it. If you've seen videos of folks using the automotive Picoscopes it'll work similar to that. They do also offer a 2 channel but it's only 40 quid cheaper so I reckon it's better to have 4 for that little extra money.

The Hantek won't have much of a buffer so you'll be pretty much limited to what it shows on the screen in real time. It's basically a cheap 2 channel option if you'd like to spend a good bit less than the price of that Draper.

Re. the function generator that falls in the really cool but not all that useful category IMO. Pick the 'scope that's right for you without worrying about bells and whistles.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
3 years 3 months ago #45528 by david.rudling-smith
Thank you so much for your advice.

I do really like the look of the Micsig, what’s the main difference between that and a picoscope?

I set my self a tool budget of £800-1000 on tools for the next 6months and not sure if I want to blow the budget on one tool. However I also don’t want to buy the hantek and then in a years time also have to upgrade!

More
3 years 2 months ago #46892 by DougS
Replied by DougS on topic Help with scope.
Hi David,
The main difference is the Picoscope is PC based. You will need to use it with a laptop PC. The Micsig appears to be completely self-contained. All you would need is to have the probes for the things you look at the most.
The Picoscope can be purchased in a kit that will have most everything needed to hit the ground running (except the PC!).
After looking at the Micsig, I would like to see it up close and personal to see what it can do and how it works.
Take care,
DougS

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds