SnapOn legacy tool updates

More
4 years 5 months ago #35213 by johspa
I have been a DIY guy for a couple of years now and since getting on Scanner Danner I am getting really interested in going a further with troubleshooting other folks cars. So, I would like to get a Scope (possibly a Scan tool) for this but on a budget. So, I have been looking at a used Modis, Verus, or Vantage Pro which are legacy SnapOn tools. Based on other threads, it seems you need to "know someone" at SnapOn to get them updated so wondered if there is a formal process for these kinds of updates? How would I get them updated if I did decide to purchase one of these? Could someone point me in the right direction in case I do go this route? Maybe there is a SnapOn person out there that could help me?

Thanks in advance,
johspa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 5 months ago #35229 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic SnapOn legacy tool updates
You might be able to purchase updates through the snap on web site if you don't have a local dealer, but they are pretty pricey.
If you are DIY, I would recommend finding a used tool with software that will cover a majority of the vehicles you work on.
For example, if most of the cars you see are 2014 or under a tool with version 15.1 would be fine.
Alternatively, to update from 15.1 to current, you may be required to pay for every update between then and now. Updates come out quarterly (4 a year) and are around $1000 each. So $4000 a year for a tool that's 4 years out of date would likely not only exceed the value of the tool, but would also make it nearly impossible to recoup your investment as a DIY.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
4 years 4 months ago #35567 by Andy.MacFadyen
If you are starting out plan on your expenditure on upgrades, I would go with a good bi-directional scantool from Launch or Autel for scope 99% of automotive work requires no more than 2 channels --- that is changing but even a 4 cam variable valve timing V engine can be checked with a 2 channel scope. I would suggest you look at the Ditex range.

For a scantool look at the bi-directional tools Launch X431 and Autel 900 ranges, some of the "usual suspects" on Youtube use these even though they also have and use Snap-on
Personally I am now firmly in the Launch camp.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
4 years 4 months ago #35618 by johnathon.balderas
a used Verus can be had for around a grand which puts you at the same price as the cheapest autel that has bi-directional featrues

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds